Oct 9, 2012, 2:07 AM EST
And Eric Gordon is still out in New Orleans.
His surgically-repaired right knee kept him out the first week of drills at camp and it is still giving him trouble. Which means it could be another week before he is back on the court. Or longer, like the entire preseason. That according to the Times-Picayune.
Gordon did not participate in any contact work during the first week of training camp, and Coach Monty Williams said Monday it’s unlikely Gordon will see the floor much this week as well. The Hornets play three exhibition games in four days this week….
“We’re going to limit him still,” Williams said Monday. “I think we’ll know more about Eric next week when we start to ramp him up a little bit on the floor. He’s been involved in our walk-throughs. He’s participated in a lot of our exercises. But I think we’re erring on the side of caution right now.”
Well, that’s the side you should error on. But this knee operation was back on Valentines Day and Gordon pushed to be back for the last few games of the regular season. The fact he is still sitting out is a little concerning.
But for the Hornets its not about the preseason, really it’s not about this season at all. The Hornets need to build and think in the long term. We know that when healthy Gordon is as good a young two guard as there is in the league (if you forget, remember back to what he did as part of Team USA winning the gold at the FIBA World Championships in 2010). The Hornets need to be patient and wait for that Gordon to return.
Gordon is a part of what is being built in the Big Easy. And if it takes longer to get his knee right in this preseason, then he and he Hornets wait. Tough as that may be at times.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 2
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10