Oct 9, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
More and more it looks like Dwight Howard will be there when the Lakers open the regular season.
That’s not guaranteed, but doctors have cleared him for full contact, 5-on-5 scrimmages, reports Mike Trudell at the official Lakers site. It’s a big step.
This does not mean Howard has been cleared for games, he is not playing for the Lakers Wednesday against Portland (their next preseason contest).
However, the next step is doctor clearance for a game. And if he is on the doorstep of that now, on Oct. 9, the odds he is ready for an Oct. 30 season opener against Dallas look really good.
If you need a reminder or spent the summer holed up fearing the end of the world like the Mayan predicted (actually, they didn’t), Howard missed the end of last season due to back pain and had surgery to repair the issue in April. He has been in recovery — and forcing his way out of Orlando — since then.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:32 AM EST
Trail Blazers center has moves – or at least a move
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
For some reason, Bulls fans boo this athletic feat
Mar 2, 2015, 9:07 AM EST
LeBron: ‘I have no idea why he would do that’
Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
He remains out for the rest of this season at least.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Well played, Rockets.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:50 AM EST
We have video evidence Brandon Bass can dunk.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 AM EST
Contenders will be lined up to sign him.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:36 PM EST
They played like MVP candidates.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
Harden got a technical foul for this.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
As in six weeks left in the season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Jordan shot 12 free throws against the Bulls.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The deadline for McGee to be waived in order to be eligible to join another team for the playoffs is midnight Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Another hit to Chicago’s roster.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Silver talked about the league one day sharing injury data at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
A look at upcoming retro releases of the Jordan VIII, Jordan 1, Jordan XIV Low, and the Jordan VII.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Odd timing, only because fans in Phoenix have historically shown up for games against San Antonio and Los Angeles.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:33 AM EST
Beasley throws one down in his second game back with the Heat.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:22 AM EST
He will be missed.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Warriors general manager supports idea
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15