Oct 9, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
More and more it looks like Dwight Howard will be there when the Lakers open the regular season.
That’s not guaranteed, but doctors have cleared him for full contact, 5-on-5 scrimmages, reports Mike Trudell at the official Lakers site. It’s a big step.
This does not mean Howard has been cleared for games, he is not playing for the Lakers Wednesday against Portland (their next preseason contest).
However, the next step is doctor clearance for a game. And if he is on the doorstep of that now, on Oct. 9, the odds he is ready for an Oct. 30 season opener against Dallas look really good.
If you need a reminder or spent the summer holed up fearing the end of the world like the Mayan predicted (actually, they didn’t), Howard missed the end of last season due to back pain and had surgery to repair the issue in April. He has been in recovery — and forcing his way out of Orlando — since then.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'