Bulls’ Carlos Boozer says to judge him by wins, losses

Oct 9, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT

Carlos Boozer AP

Carlos Boozer has frustrated fans in three cities. Cleveland for how he left. Utah and Chicago for how he played — good but never quite as good as expected.

Boozer is used to the criticism (the man played at Duke, not where you go if you want basketball fans everywhere to love you). He’s heard Bulls fans complain about his production and numbers. But he also knows that the criticism quiets when the team wins, and that is his focus.

Here is what he told the Sun Times.

“People look at it from the wrong perspective,’’ Boozer said. “This isn’t Utah, and this isn’t just a team with me and [former Jazz point guard] Deron Williams on it. We’re playing with five scorers here, so your touches aren’t going to be the same, your looks aren’t going to be the same. It’s a different system.

“All the people should worry about is if we win. Criticize me if we lose, but if we win, just praise us.’’

This year that might open up the door to criticism. Without Derrick Rose for much of the season, the Bulls likely are a playoff team (they still defend and play hard for Tom Thibodeau) but they are not a threat. They are not the team with the best record in the East the two previous seasons. They are vulnerable. They are not contenders.

With Rose back Chicago could become the seven seed nobody wants to face. Could. But this is going to be a tougher year in Chicago, and Boozer knows the criticism is coming. Loudly. He’s just kind of used to it.

And he knows he’ll hear it until he is wearing a ring.

1. spellingcopfather - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

He is right, ( he won a big contract, lost his motivation)!!!

2. thomaskouns - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

He has a point to an extent but one of the perks of playing a team sport and on a very talented team at that is that you can make comments like that one.

He’s basically trying to get people to ignore his game because he knows the team is good enough to win irrespective of his contributions or lack thereof. I’d be more focuses on his rebounding and defense than his scoring anyway.

Seems like I keep coming across these articles recently where players have been making excuses for themselves and the season hasn’t even started.

3. lucaslatronico - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I am a Bulls fan and I think he is good, he is doing what he always did: Low Post Offense and Rebound! the problem is his contract but it’s his fault that the Bulls offer him so much money. (sorry for the English)

• 00maltliquor - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Exactly! I think Boozer gets a huge amount of unfair critisisim for no reason other then his big contract. He does what he always does, score in the post and rebound…very well. WTF do these people expect from a former 2nd rounder! Jeez!

• itsthemelman82 - Oct 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Uh I think we expect him to not look so clueless on defense.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yeah, that would be a pretty valid reason. But it’s not like that’s something new to the Bulls. He’s been that way his entire career, you guys knew what you were getting when the ink dried on paper and he arrived.

4. supremekingz - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I just wish he had more hops. I’m a Duke and Bulls fan and the guy is the best big 4 who plays under the rim, but if he had hops like Taj he’d be able to play better against bigger defenders. Boozer flat out disappears when someone is taller than him and even when he goes against Josh Smith who’s the same height, he’s getting his shots thrown out of bounds.

There’s got to be something he can do to fix this

5. hwatt - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I always thought we were upset bc he is blowing key shots… or not taking them. Dude gets tons of touches… and don’t remind me of the one of the all-time epic fails in Bulls history, just last playoffs when he inbounded the ball, tried to post up a guy and just… lost it… right in the clutch!! How many legit superstars just lose the ball when no one is around them?!… aaaaaaaghhh

6. jag8r904 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

See you next Tuesday, Carlos.

7. joshm5683 - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

He says they have 5 scorers………….I’m not a Bulls fan but even I know Joakim Noah is not a guy coaches scheme about defensively, neither is Brewer, and while Deng is a good defender and a great overall complimentary player……..no one is confusing him for Lebron. I heard a lot of Bulls fans excited when he signed, but after watching him get mauled by the Lakers in the playoffs 2 straight seasons I knew he was going to be a bust and that fan base would be disappointed.

• moseskkim - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Which brewer? The one on ny knicks? And deng is a great scorer. U don’t have to be Lebron to be a scorer.. I see where ur going and I see 3 scorers and there’s no need to discount what deng does.

8. ohsoblessed1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Carlos Boozer is just a pretty good player. He is not da bomb his contract says he is. Like someone previously said, it’s not his fault they gave him all of that loot.

• controlledchaos123 - Oct 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

People still refer to things as being da bomb?

9. misterdreamer119 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Carlos Loozer.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches