Oct 8, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It’s impossible to know what Kobe Bryant will be thinking in two years.
It’s not going to be easy for him to walk away from a sport he loves, to walk away from the locker room camaraderie, to refocus his competitive drive away from the basketball court that has been his home since childhood.
But more and more each time he speaks publicly about it, Kobe Bryant sounds like a guy who is going to hang up his Nikes when his current contract is up in two years.
Look at what he told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com in a fantastic profile about where Kobe is right now mentally as he enters his 17th NBA season.
“It’s just that three more years seems like a really long time to continue to stay at a high, high level of training and preparation and health,” Bryant said. “That’s a lot of years. For a guard? That’s a lot of years….
“It’s not about health necessarily,” he said. “It’s about ‘Do I want to do it? Do I have that hunger to continue to prepare at a high level?’ “
If he is publically asking himself that question…
Kobe’s not going to be able to easily walk away from the game, but he also has been around long enough to see Michael Jordan come back as a Wizard and other great players hang on to become guys that played limited minutes and scored 12 points a night to chase a ring. Kobe’s ego is not going to let that happen.
But he also wants that sixth ring. He wants as many rings as Jordan. And my guess is he might sign a one-year deal after his current one if Steve Nash is still a Laker to chase it (or a seventh, depending on how things go).
However, that might be it. That might be the end.
Go read the entire story. Especially if you find the current players union battle between director Billy Hunter and president Derek Fisher for control of the organization interesting. Kobe weighs in on that, too. (And if you have to guess who he backs, you have not been paying attention.)
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18