Durant not sure why you care he worked out with LeBron

Oct 8, 2012, 1:01 PM EST

US forward Kevin Durant (L) and US forwa Getty Images

Some fans want sports to live in this idealized old-school world where players share their passion for the name across the front of the jersey. (I’m not sure that was really ever the case, but that’s another debate.) As such, some Celtics fans don’t want their guys mixing with the Heat or Lakers during the summer.

But in a globalized, walls-are-down world that’s not now it works.

Which means when for a second summer Kevin Durant spent time working out with LeBron James, it bothered a few people. People apparently stuck in 1954, but people nonetheless. Kevin Durant heard those people and he really doesn’t get it, he told the Oklahoman.

“A lot of people blew (it) out of proportion,” the reigning three time scoring champion said. “It was just one day…

“I’m a competitive guy,” Durant said. “I’m sure you guys have seen that in me. I just wanted to work out. That’s what it was all about. I’ll work out with anybody. I would have worked out with Kobe Bryant. I would have worked out with Carmelo (Anthony). I just wanted to work out and get better.”

Durant and LeBron were both part of Team USA winning the gold in Beijing, so they spent a fair amount of time together this summer.

The “Durant shouldn’t work out with LeBron” argument dies here for me — do you really think this will make Durant any less competitive come the next time they meet? If you do, you don’t know Durant. Or LeBron. Or let me use this example from your life: When you line up to play basketball (or football or NBA 2K13 or…) against your brother or good friend, do you want to beat them more than some guy you don’t know? Damn straight. I go harder at guys I know because I want bragging rights.

So can we just let this go? Durant worked out for a day with the one guy on the planet who can really push his game. The one guy who can best challenge and make him better. This bothers you because… why? I don’ get it.

1. albertmn - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

There are only so many guys in the world that are as good as those two. In order to get better, you need to work against the best. If they worked out together all offseason, I wouldn’t have seen a problem with that. How can either of them get pushed to get better working out against some rookie or someone else that just isn’t as talented. Magic and Isiah Thomas were best buds back in the day, but would go at each other in games. You see it even more in the NFL. Larry Fitzgerald is just one example of a guy that works out with guys from other teams in his camp. He is the most recent, but isn’t the first to do so.

2. nycalldayz - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

This article displays what’s clearly wrong with sports journalism today. You’re not seeing the overall picture Kurt Helin. I think true die-hard sports fans and NBA fans appreciate the idea of two teams or players that rival each other instead of being buddy-buddy. I don’t think people actually care what Durant or Lebron do in their spare-time. But these two faced off in the 2012 NBA Finals where Lebron and the Miami Heat defeated Durant’s Thunder.

Not to sound grumpy, but I wouldn’t train or work-out with a rival player that just defeated me in the NBA finals. These things never happened 20 yrs ago. I never saw or heard stories about Bird, Miller, Magic, Jordan, Thomas, Ewing or Barkley working out together during the off-season, unless they were filming a commercial(sarcasm). I think fans appreciate a good rivalry in any sport not only basketball.

I remember good compeititve NBA rivalries like Lakers vs Celtics, Pistons vs Bulls, Knicks vs Bulls, Pacers vs Knicks, Pacers vs Bulls, Wolves vs Spurs, Suns vs Sonics and the list goes on…Hell I even appreciate today’s rivalries Lakers vs Celtics, Heat vs Celtics or Lakers vs Suns, you can see the contempt when these teams match up, but there’s respect between them too.

• mannyfresh209 - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And, back then, were the media outlets available today present? Nope

3. papichulo55 - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Ballers, and athletes in general, dont really understand how much us couch potatoes live vicariously through them. There’s a bit of me drivin the lane with LBJ, or givin my opponent my version of Durant’s blank stare. So, it follows that since I dont know LBJ as a nice guy, I wouldnt have a problem of categorizing and treating him as Enemy Number One. Practice with him? Thats like Navy scrimaging with Army. Unnatural.

4. blueintown - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’m not sure globalization is an accurate description of the galvanizing force motivating K.D. and LeBron to work out together.

5. reedme16 - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

People need to get a life. Last year Durant worked out with Lebron for,a few weeks. He came back to have the best season of his career, almost win MVP, win a scoring title, and lead his team to the NBA finals. So why would working out with him again be a bad thing?

Even your favorite rivals back in the days were friends and still are. Get real and realize they don’t care as much as you want them too.

6. suhnum1fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM

When you’re friends with someone they tend to used that against you, ask Joe Dumars (When he and Jordan became friends). It hurt the Pistons in the long run. Jordan got in his head.

• mannyfresh209 - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

If anyone should’ve been affected by this trickery, it should’ve been LeBron. Right? He’s the mentally weak player, isn’t he? Stop it, you’re silly.

7. e39er - Oct 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Good for him, learn Lebrons post moves, today’s game is changing…Durant needs to be an all around player not just a shooter

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches