Oct 8, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Some fans want sports to live in this idealized old-school world where players share their passion for the name across the front of the jersey. (I’m not sure that was really ever the case, but that’s another debate.) As such, some Celtics fans don’t want their guys mixing with the Heat or Lakers during the summer.
But in a globalized, walls-are-down world that’s not now it works.
Which means when for a second summer Kevin Durant spent time working out with LeBron James, it bothered a few people. People apparently stuck in 1954, but people nonetheless. Kevin Durant heard those people and he really doesn’t get it, he told the Oklahoman.
“A lot of people blew (it) out of proportion,” the reigning three time scoring champion said. “It was just one day…
“I’m a competitive guy,” Durant said. “I’m sure you guys have seen that in me. I just wanted to work out. That’s what it was all about. I’ll work out with anybody. I would have worked out with Kobe Bryant. I would have worked out with Carmelo (Anthony). I just wanted to work out and get better.”
Durant and LeBron were both part of Team USA winning the gold in Beijing, so they spent a fair amount of time together this summer.
The “Durant shouldn’t work out with LeBron” argument dies here for me — do you really think this will make Durant any less competitive come the next time they meet? If you do, you don’t know Durant. Or LeBron. Or let me use this example from your life: When you line up to play basketball (or football or NBA 2K13 or…) against your brother or good friend, do you want to beat them more than some guy you don’t know? Damn straight. I go harder at guys I know because I want bragging rights.
So can we just let this go? Durant worked out for a day with the one guy on the planet who can really push his game. The one guy who can best challenge and make him better. This bothers you because… why? I don’ get it.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32