Stephen Jackson wants a contract extension. In related news, sky is blue, water wet, gravity works.

Oct 7, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Gary Neal AP

Stephen Jackson‘s last contract with Golden State was a killer. They were forced to dump it to Charlotte, who was desperate for anyone who could play (and that decision helped lead them to, you know, last year). Then Charlotte had to get rid of it by dropping it to Milwaukee. Milwaukee was able to handle the money, but he and Skiles clashed so back to Golden State he went! For like an hour. Then the Spurs gambled on him and it worked out well.

Now, he wants another one. Jackson made a huge deal about being traded to San Antonio, essentially likening it to being saved. He publicly made a lot of noise about his relationship with Popovich and Tim Duncan. But of course, his contract, at $10 million a year for an aging bench shooter and defensive presence, is expiring. And naturally, Jackson is shopping for that extension. And he’s not doing it quietly. From the San Antonio Express-News:

Only one thing could make Jackson’s professional life better: An extension of his contract, worth $10 million in its final season.

“I want it, but I can’t control it,” Jackson said, toweling sweat off his face after Tuesday’s practice. “Every day when I walk in here I’m hoping they’ll call me in and say, ‘Jack, here’s your extension.’

“I think I deserve it, but at the end of the day I’m still happy to be here and all I can worry about is what I can control, and that’s my play.”

via Spurs Nation » ‘Jack’ happy with role, wishing for new deal.

Jackson’s probably not shopping for huge money, but make no mistake. Jackson is as real about his background as it gets, and in the article linked above is publicly promoting his rap album out October 30th. He makes no apologies for who he is or how he lives his life. But part of that honesty is that he’s going to look out for himself financially. This isn’t anything new, players do it all the time, but often they let their agent handle most of that. Jackson  will publicly feed this fire, while never allowing it to disrupt his commitment to the team or his play. He’s authentic, and the guy you want on your side in a game, a fight, in life. He’s a mentor for young players and never tries to get in the way of his teammates’ success. But he wants his reward for his play and loyalty.

The Spurs, however, are no the sentimental type of organization. They’ll get the deal they want, or they’ll let him walk. It’s going to come down to whether or not Jackson is able to keep a realistic view of what he’s worth to a winning organization.

1. money2long - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

completely unrelated*

i remember having a discussion a while ago with two other people about the idea of water being “wet”.

in its essence, water is a liquid. when an object is wet, it is taking on a different feel. can we ‘wet’ water? seems redundant. i don’t know if we can call water wet. water is the thing that wets. can we wet water? this can become a very philosophical topic. i think im doing a pretty poor job of putting this concept into words. but it’s just strange for me. you know when you know what you mean in your head, but it get difficult when you try to translate that into words? so im going to just stop here.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I know what you’re getting at. Good point. Mad random, but I enjoyed the read, lol!

2. cdins - Oct 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Haha i like the point on wetness. Otherwise stephen jackson is garbage.

• spellingcopfather - Oct 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You must have missed the last game spurs played against OKC, in the playoff, Jackson was the only one. Playing with heart that game!!!

3. fanz928 - Oct 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Jackson should walk penalty of teams will give him minimum that spurs are offering

4. dallasnative - Oct 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Technically Gravitation law is incorrect, tides blow that out of the water. So Gravity does not work the way we think it does.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches