Oct 6, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Marcin Gortat kind of gets lost when people talk about the Suns. He had some really great years next to Steve Nash (related, everyone has really great years next to Steve Nash). With all the changes to the Suns, the focus is always on the new players like Goran Dragic (who’s actually an old player for the Suns), Luis Scola, and Michael Beasley. But Gortat has been really effective since being freed from behind Dwight Howard in Orlando.
And now he has a nickname worthy of… well… er… uh…
From the Arizona Republic:
“I’m 100 percent sure I’ve become a better player and hopefully I show it this season,” Gortat said. “I’m in incredible shape. I’m definitely missing a few pounds because I didn’t have enough time to get in the weight room. But we’ve got the new nickname ‘Polish Gazelle.’ Trust me, I can outrun everybody, even point guards.”
“The Polish Gazelle.”
Now, maybe it’s just because I’m from Arkansas and any sort of deer-like animal is treated not so much with a sense of fear as, you know, “Dang, that would make for a nice supper in some chili” but I’ve never associated gazelles with being fearsome. I get what he’s going for there, and good for him to adapt to the new NBA of needing big men to be as fast as they are strong. But seriously, don’t start putting that thing on t-shirts. That’s just a merchandising red mark waiting to happen.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 15
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 2
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9