Joe Johnson wants it made known that he didn’t ask to be traded from Atlanta

Oct 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Joe Johnson AP

Joe Johnson was the face of the Hawks for over half-a-decade. He as a six-time All-Star with Atlanta, and in retrospect, took them to a level of respectability that gets overlooked because of how tough his era turned out to be. Now that he’s in Brooklyn, apparently everyone’s asking him why he decided to bail on his team. ESPN New York reports that Johnson’s answer is simple. He didn’t.

“Everybody thinks I made this trade,” the Nets’ shooting guard said. “I had nothing to do with it.

“Every time I run into somebody when I’m in Atlanta, they ask me, ‘Why did you leave?’

I didn’t have nothing to do with it. I’m just glad that I came to a great organization and a team who wants to win.”

via Joe Johnson: I didn’t burn Atlanta – Brooklyn Nets Blog – ESPN New York.

That may be the most amazing thing about how the Nets put together this team. Deron Williams didn’t want a trade to the Nets. But they sold him on Brooklyn. Joe Johnson didn’t want out of Atlanta, but they brought him in and got him to buy in. Gerald Wallace wasn’t shopping for New York real estate, but again, got him to believe in what they’re building. They jerked around Brook Lopez for a year with trade rumors, and he still re-signed with the club.

For Hawks fans, it’s a reminder that Johnson, for all his faults, never demanded top money, he earned it on the free market, and never bailed on the team. It’s for the best that he’s gone, but his time should probably be remembered more fondly than it will be.

1. money2long - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

does anyone know which team has the most expensive starting five ?

• joshm5683 - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Its gotta be the Lakers I would think? Kobe makes like 27, Dwight 20, Nash 10m Pau 18, Metta 5

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Lakers by a landslide.

Their total payroll is around $18 million (or 25%) higher than the second most expensive payroll.

(cue fair complaints about parity in the NBA)

2. prosourcetalk - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Didn’t Johnson reject a smaller extension before signing his max deal? How is that not demanding top money?

• qwertify - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

‘Demanding’ is different from ‘making the most out of the situation’. I mean, that’s what every free-agent-to-be does right? Reject the contract extension then sign a new contract, whether it be with the same team or a different team.

3. drunkenjunk - Oct 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

na joe, just everybody in Atlanta asked for you to be traded.

4. progress2011 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I Agree Drunkenjunk !

Dude was sitting there, year after year, STEALING money from a franchise and fan base, that are desperate to win and support a ” Real ” superstar/ closer to represent the “A”.

Atlanta fans get a bad rap, by being called ” fair weather fans” . But what are they supposed to do, when they have their premier players, such as Joe Johnson, say publicly….” I don’t care what the fans think, I play for my teammates “!

OK well fine, my hard earned $400 for tickets, $30 for parking and another $100 for refreshments, for my family of 3, will be just fine staying in my POCKET.

I know, that’s only a drop in the bucket, BUT it’s my dough ! And I’d refuse to give it to an arrogant, average, over-rated, wanna-be, down syndrome having dude , like Joe !

But I digress……From what I understand, the entire city of Atlanta threw a parade when he left. So, I’m sure, nobody cared, if he asked for a trade.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

^This.

I was under the impression that Hawks fans were happy he was traded, so I don’t get why people would ask him why he left.

• drunkenjunk - Oct 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

progress is right, all of Atl was happy he got traded. He was an albatross and everyone praised Ferry for the move because nobody thought anyone was dumb enough to take on that contract.

5. eventhorizon04 - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

“Say what you want about the luxury tax implications, top level of talent, flexibility and defense of the Nets, but they have managed to convince the players that what they have going on at Barclays is worth being a part, of and they did it before Barclays was even finished getting built.”

Well, offering each man a dumpster-truck full of money in salary in addition to exposure to the NY media market certainly helped the persuading.

6. mcqphx - Oct 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Progress…100% Correct! Y’all forgot about Joe’s comments to the fans. Thx!

7. therealhtj - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

So long as the check clears, I’m guessing JJ doesn’t much care.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches