Oct 6, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Isiah Thomas continues to haunt Knicks fans like the ghost of Balkmans past. Meetings with James Dolan, consulting for superstars and their careers, Knicks fans are always looking over their shoulder for the return of the once and future GM. Well maybe now they can rest a little easier. Thomas said in an interview with Fox Sports, transcribed by the New York Post he’d rather be on television than in the front office.
“I’ve auditioned for the job, if they pick me that would be great,” Thomas said. “I would love to be a part of the show and give my thoughts and opinions on championship basketball and NBA basketball and life in general in the NBA.”
Thomas said his “preference” would be to land that job, as opposed to return to the Knicks organization. Dolan requested a lunch with the team’s former president and coach in early September, which set off speculation of a return to the organization. It would be a widely unpopular move considering Thomas’ failures with the organization, but nothing appears to be imminent.
“Jim Dolan and I had lunch as we often do, and we are very good friends, and we talk from time to time,” Thomas said. “I have great relationships with the organization, so I guess there was some speculation as there’s always been about me going back there. And that’s where it’s at.”
That’s leaving just enough of a window open for a sequel. It’s like that scene after the credits where the monster is still alive.
Thomas on television would be incredible. He’s one of the most personable and likeable people on the surface, that’s what nearly everyone says about him. He has stories and insight for day as not only a Hall of Famer, but an exec and an advisor. It would be must-see television nearly every night. But it comes with it a whole other set of challenges, considering his relative credibility and public favorability. You wouldn’t even have to work him into your existing coverage. Just put him in a room with a mic and a camera and see where things take you.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32