Oct 5, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
It’s one of the mantras of star players heading into the season — they want to get their teammates involved more. “I’m going to shoot less and pass more.” Everyone says that until the games start, and even if they do it in November by February it’s a different story.
But there are exceptions to that rule. If Kevin Love will be one of those exceptions remains to be seen, but he is certainly talking the talk.
“It feels good to be a setup man,” Love said. “I’ve been finding guys all week in camp. You might see a drop in points because of the guys we have now, but you might see a spike in my assists. I’ll be in the giving mood this season.”
The reason it might be true for Love is that he has a better supporting cast around him this year to take some of that scoring load — Brandon Roy, Andrei Kirilenko and Chase Budinger and on down the line (including that Ricky Rubio guy when he returns from knee surgery).
Love is a deft passer, one of the best passing big men in the game. If he can use that skill more the Timberwolves will be better off. Playoff better off. But if he has to keep taking on the scoring load, well, the fight gets harder.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record