Kevin Durant is bulking up… relatively.

Oct 5, 2012, 10:23 AM EDT

Kevin Durant AP

Remember how at the NBA Draft Combine Kevin Durant couldn’t bench press the 185 pound bar even once? That led some pundits to suggest he would get pushed around like a rag doll and struggle to find his game in an NBA made up of strong men.

Turns out, while the bench press may be a valuable test for future NFL offensive linemen, it’s not a great predictor of your ability to shoot the basketball. Or really do much of anything on a basketball court. To be fair, Durant’s thin frame did has to him being pushed around some on the court, he can’t hold his position well and has to give up a lot of position to get possession of the ball.

But that may changing, along with Durant’s body, reports Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman. You’re not going to confuse him for a football player out of the University of Texas, but he is getting bigger.

From his lower body, through his midsection on up to where it’s as clear as ever — his upper body — Durant has bulked up. As with everything else that defines his skills, Durant isn’t overly interested in discussing the matter. That he said as much as he did hints that he has indeed gotten stronger and is darn proud of it.

“I hope so,” Durant said when told he looks bigger and asked if he got stronger over the offseason. “I guess we’ll know when we start banging during the season. But I feel a little bigger, and coach is going to put me down low a little bit more at the 4, so I’ve got to be stronger to guard those guys. I’m just looking forward to doing as much as I can to help this team.”

Durant at the four suggests the Thunder learned some lessons from the NBA finals, when LeBron James was a beast at the four spot. Durant and LeBron’s physiques and games are different, but the basic idea of a matchup nightmare for the other team at he four is there. The Thunder are going to play small at times.

Either way Durant is a stud. If you don’t take him in the top two in your fantasy draft, you’re a fool. It doesn’t really matter what position he plays.

1. hehateme2 - Oct 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Good idea as LeBron had his way wiht him in the Finals. He simply is too small to defend King James.

2. nbascreed - Oct 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I love to see elite players working on their games and bodies and taking their craft serious. For all his talent and artistry that was the one thing I most appreciated about MJ, his seriousness towards his profession.

I remember watching KD his sophomore year in the league against the Wolves. He waived off the pg as the clock was winding down and then rocked one of our 3s with a left right crossover. I turned to my buddy, made the ‘ugly face’ and said “he couldn’t handle like that in Austin.” It was evident to me then that the guy was serious about getting better. I watch how fluid his handle is now at 6’11” (that’s right) and can do nothing but appreciate this guy.

I’m an LBJ fan, but I’m paying to see KD up close and personal this year.

3. zerole00 - Oct 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“Durant’s thin frame did has to him being pushed around some on the court”

Oh Kurt. Yous funny.

• guyaneserj - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

LMFAO…

• 24thesho - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Durant’s thin frame took enough punishment to make one of the top elite players in NBA and the world.

4. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Durant posted a video on Twitter a couple years ago of him benching 325lbs or something. He may not have bulked up much but he’s a lot stronger than his rookie season.

• camnellum12 - Oct 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, you’re right, he hit 315, and this was back in 2010: http://youtu.be/A8CkKe2fkVw

He may have not bulked like LeBron did in his 3 or 4th year, but now he has raw power and is stronger than he appears.

• mnsportsfan - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

That was a video of him benching the bar. Wake me up when the camera pans out and shows 315 go down and back up.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

You’re right, it looks fake. I didn’t remember it seeming so fake but the camera zooms in too far to see if guys are helping him lift it. Oh well… guess Durant is still weak.

• brokerhenry - Oct 6, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Durant benching 325lbs is not possible! I am 6’3″ 240lbs and I just tore my left shoulder to pieces trying to go up from 270lbs to 315lbs! No way no how that dude benches 325lbs!!! I tore 2 of my rotator cuffs man and it freaking hurts!!!!! I am just waiting to be scheduled for surgery here in Sydney, Australia. I am never ever going to go above 270lbs ever again. I am 41 and don’t need to keep up with the young people anymore. God was I stupid!!!!

• badintent - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Drunk and taking roids but not stupid. Everyone Downunder is Drunk., the gym rats are ALL on roids, And Vegemite.Hope you come back fast and just play some nice Aussie Rules Football.And stay away from the Shoulder presses, that’s how I tore my rotator cuff. 2 cortisone shots later, still is nasty.Fair Dinkcum and say hello to Paul Hogan for me.

5. returnofmeezle - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

kd can’t bench 325

6. hegotgamesports - Oct 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

who do you think is lankier … KD, Tayshaun Prince, or Manute Bol?

7. scottpavek - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Even when you were tricked by the video, how could you look at KD and ever possibly think he benched nearly twice his weight?

8. davidly - Oct 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

I remember a report from the early 90s out of Chicago concerning the Bulls strength training. When you look at before and after images of Pippen and Jordan, you’d have to conclude it was a success.

• badintent - Oct 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM

NBA didn’t test for roids in those days..

9. omniusprime - Oct 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Kurt, so what Twiggy Durant gained a pound, get over it. Twiggy isn’t a stud, just another overhyped dud, until he wins a championship which will be a long time from now. Remember everyone said that last year was Twiggy’s team’s time, now he’s too old and obsolete.

• 24thesho - Oct 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM

???????????????????? You, sir, are a total and utter fool.

10. manotas211 - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

There’s no way he can bench that much. Instead if bulking up he should man up. What I mean by that he should stop being a momma’s boy. After he and his thunder got their butts kicked he goes and cries to his momma. Man up KD.

11. manotas211 - Oct 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Instead of Durant trying to bulk up he should MAN UP. First person he went to cry was his mommy. Maybe when he leaves him mommy at home and he man’s up then maybe he can beat the Heat.

12. rocirius - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

When I was a couple of years younger than Durant, I was 5′ 11″ and weighed 125. I had no muscle tone and maxed out at 230 bench pressing free weights, but I could only do one rep.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches