Oct 5, 2012, 10:23 AM EST
Remember how at the NBA Draft Combine Kevin Durant couldn’t bench press the 185 pound bar even once? That led some pundits to suggest he would get pushed around like a rag doll and struggle to find his game in an NBA made up of strong men.
Turns out, while the bench press may be a valuable test for future NFL offensive linemen, it’s not a great predictor of your ability to shoot the basketball. Or really do much of anything on a basketball court. To be fair, Durant’s thin frame did has to him being pushed around some on the court, he can’t hold his position well and has to give up a lot of position to get possession of the ball.
But that may changing, along with Durant’s body, reports Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman. You’re not going to confuse him for a football player out of the University of Texas, but he is getting bigger.
From his lower body, through his midsection on up to where it’s as clear as ever — his upper body — Durant has bulked up. As with everything else that defines his skills, Durant isn’t overly interested in discussing the matter. That he said as much as he did hints that he has indeed gotten stronger and is darn proud of it.
“I hope so,” Durant said when told he looks bigger and asked if he got stronger over the offseason. “I guess we’ll know when we start banging during the season. But I feel a little bigger, and coach is going to put me down low a little bit more at the 4, so I’ve got to be stronger to guard those guys. I’m just looking forward to doing as much as I can to help this team.”
Durant at the four suggests the Thunder learned some lessons from the NBA finals, when LeBron James was a beast at the four spot. Durant and LeBron’s physiques and games are different, but the basic idea of a matchup nightmare for the other team at he four is there. The Thunder are going to play small at times.
Either way Durant is a stud. If you don’t take him in the top two in your fantasy draft, you’re a fool. It doesn’t really matter what position he plays.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 1
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)