Oct 5, 2012, 1:12 AM EDT
While a lot of players have said they like the NBA’s new policy of fines for flops and hope that it starts to curtail the embellishment of contact in the NBA, not everyone does. There are concerns about enforcement, about unintended consequences, about a few things.
“I think the guys who are going to be in trouble are the guys who lead the league in [taking legit] charges,” Gooden said after Milwaukee’s morning workout. “Ersan [Ilyasova] had a play yesterday where Ekpe [Udoh] was about to take a real hard power-dribble and he anticipated it. He stood on his heels, he took contact and it was like a no-call. Is that a warning? Is that a violation? That’s gonna be the question….
“I think we’re making too many rules each year,” Gooden said. “It seems like the last five years, it’s been a new rule every year. Technical fouls are up. Hand gestures to the ref. It’s taking away from the game.”
David Stern said today that the league will be “conservative” on enforcement. We’ll see what that means, and what the impacts turn out to be. Not all of them will be expected.
Another point from Gooden — shouldn’t the referees have consequences for the calls?
Gooden added: “The refs should be fined if they call a flop as an offensive foul, how ’bout that? If they get fooled, they should get fined or they should get a warning.”
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months