Oct 5, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Denver Nuggets can score. That was never really the question. They finished last season with the third best efficient offense in the NBA and they played at the second fastest pace. Points were not the issue.
Stops, that’s another story. The Nuggets were 19th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) and when they needed a stop they couldn’t get it. Like in the playoffs.
Which is why George Karl is so excited about Andre Iguodala being in house — the guy Coach K counted on as a stopper on Team USA is now a go-to guy for the Nuggets. Karl is rightfully excited, speaking to the Denver Post.
“With Andre Iguodala, I think we have a stopper,” Karl said of his new starting shooting guard, an all-star last season. “I don’t think we’re going to be statistically high in a lot of traditional defensive categories. But I think differential is the key for us — field-goal differential, points differential, turnover differential. How we control the other team. Can we have moments of defensive momentum rather than offensive momentum? Can we have moments when we intimidate with our presence on the defensive end on the court?
“And, in the fourth quarter, I still believe you win most games with stops, extra possessions, offensive rebounds, making free throws. I just think defensively you win so many close games with intimidation.”
With their offense, the Nuggets don’t have to be a great defensive team, just good. Just better than average.
But Karl has got a stopper. And the Nuggets could be a very good team this season.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 19
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49