Oct 5, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
The Denver Nuggets can score. That was never really the question. They finished last season with the third best efficient offense in the NBA and they played at the second fastest pace. Points were not the issue.
Stops, that’s another story. The Nuggets were 19th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) and when they needed a stop they couldn’t get it. Like in the playoffs.
Which is why George Karl is so excited about Andre Iguodala being in house — the guy Coach K counted on as a stopper on Team USA is now a go-to guy for the Nuggets. Karl is rightfully excited, speaking to the Denver Post.
“With Andre Iguodala, I think we have a stopper,” Karl said of his new starting shooting guard, an all-star last season. “I don’t think we’re going to be statistically high in a lot of traditional defensive categories. But I think differential is the key for us — field-goal differential, points differential, turnover differential. How we control the other team. Can we have moments of defensive momentum rather than offensive momentum? Can we have moments when we intimidate with our presence on the defensive end on the court?
“And, in the fourth quarter, I still believe you win most games with stops, extra possessions, offensive rebounds, making free throws. I just think defensively you win so many close games with intimidation.”
With their offense, the Nuggets don’t have to be a great defensive team, just good. Just better than average.
But Karl has got a stopper. And the Nuggets could be a very good team this season.
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 4
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 7
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 31