Oct 5, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Denver Nuggets can score. That was never really the question. They finished last season with the third best efficient offense in the NBA and they played at the second fastest pace. Points were not the issue.
Stops, that’s another story. The Nuggets were 19th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) and when they needed a stop they couldn’t get it. Like in the playoffs.
Which is why George Karl is so excited about Andre Iguodala being in house — the guy Coach K counted on as a stopper on Team USA is now a go-to guy for the Nuggets. Karl is rightfully excited, speaking to the Denver Post.
“With Andre Iguodala, I think we have a stopper,” Karl said of his new starting shooting guard, an all-star last season. “I don’t think we’re going to be statistically high in a lot of traditional defensive categories. But I think differential is the key for us — field-goal differential, points differential, turnover differential. How we control the other team. Can we have moments of defensive momentum rather than offensive momentum? Can we have moments when we intimidate with our presence on the defensive end on the court?
“And, in the fourth quarter, I still believe you win most games with stops, extra possessions, offensive rebounds, making free throws. I just think defensively you win so many close games with intimidation.”
With their offense, the Nuggets don’t have to be a great defensive team, just good. Just better than average.
But Karl has got a stopper. And the Nuggets could be a very good team this season.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29