George Karl thinks he has the stopper he needs in Iguodala

Oct 5, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT

Andre Iguodala AP

The Denver Nuggets can score. That was never really the question. They finished last season with the third best efficient offense in the NBA and they played at the second fastest pace. Points were not the issue.

Stops, that’s another story. The Nuggets were 19th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession) and when they needed a stop they couldn’t get it. Like in the playoffs.

Which is why George Karl is so excited about Andre Iguodala being in house — the guy Coach K counted on as a stopper on Team USA is now a go-to guy for the Nuggets. Karl is rightfully excited, speaking to the Denver Post.

“With Andre Iguodala, I think we have a stopper,” Karl said of his new starting shooting guard, an all-star last season. “I don’t think we’re going to be statistically high in a lot of traditional defensive categories. But I think differential is the key for us — field-goal differential, points differential, turnover differential. How we control the other team. Can we have moments of defensive momentum rather than offensive momentum? Can we have moments when we intimidate with our presence on the defensive end on the court?

“And, in the fourth quarter, I still believe you win most games with stops, extra possessions, offensive rebounds, making free throws. I just think defensively you win so many close games with intimidation.”

With their offense, the Nuggets don’t have to be a great defensive team, just good. Just better than average.

That falls to more than Iguodala. It’s about JaVale McGee being focused and defending the paint. It’s about Ty Lawson and Danilo Gallinari and a team buy in to the defensive principles.

But Karl has got a stopper. And the Nuggets could be a very good team this season.

1. broncobeta - Oct 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Got my tickets for the home opener.

I’m definitely not saying the Nuggs are better than the Lakers, but they aren’t going to make it easy for them.

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You forgettin about okc? They are still the favorites in the west.

• broncobeta - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

No, not at all. But the Nuggs never make it easy for the Thunder. Denver closed out OKC’s regular season with a loss, and Durant and Westbrook played until the very end.

The Lakers have just been the Nuggets’ kryptonite.

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I actually like the Nuggets. If OKC doesn’t win the West I hope Denver does

2. rockymountainraider - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Hell Yes.

3. davidly - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

They’ll have the best home record this season. Followed by Ok City and then Miami.

4. philtration - Oct 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Those new uniforms are ugly.
    I mean Whoopi Goldberg on a deep woods camping trip ugly.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview