Oct 5, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Everyone steals moves in the NBA the way novelists openly admit they steal techniques and ideas from other writers. The key — if you’re going to steal, steal from the best.
Which is what Brandon Jennings has been doing this past summer.
In an effort to boost his field goal percentage — a career best but overall pedestrian 41.8 percent last season — he is trying to steal some moves and shots from two-time MVP Steve Nash, Jennings told the Journal-Sentinel (hat tip to SLAM).
“It’s the one-leg floater in the lane,” Jennings said. “When you play against a guy like that, you just see the different ways he can score.
“It’s not easy what you can take from him. But if you put time into it, I really wanted to perfect some of the things he does. A lot of his buckets are easy.”
A lot of Nash’s baskets look easy, because he made them look that way. There’s a difference.
There are certainly lessons to be learned watching Nash. Jennings is quick enough to get into the lane, but he’s got to finish at a higher rate. Last season he averaged 6.9 shots per game inside of nine feet, but made just 3.5 of them (50.7 percent). When you’re in close you have to knock down the looks.
Nash is a master at that, with a floater and a quick pull up jumper and moves that get him layups. Part of what Jennings can do is emulate those shots. But the other thing Nash does very well is choose when to pull out what weapon in his arsenal. That is the key. That is what Jennings really needs to emulate.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80