Oct 5, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
The rumors started out of an Israeli sports Web site and quickly picked up steam in major US outlets, in part because Allen Iverson is a draw, and in part because there are a segment of Allen Iverson fans stuck in a decade-old time warp, convinced that if teams just saw him play they’d give him another chance in the NBA. (Teams have seen him play and it’s not happening.)
So the buzz starts — Iverson is going to sign with Maccabi Haifa, an Israeli team that later this month will be in the United States for exhibition games against the Warriors and Timberwolves. It would be a draw. And the coach of Haifa is former Sixers GM Brad Greenberg. So….
Not. Going. To. Happen. Never was. From the fantastic international site Sportando.
Contrarily to reports from Israeli media, mostly from Sport5.co.il, Allen Iverson won’t be joining Maccabi Haifa for the two exhibition games in NBA against Golden State Warriors and Minnesota Timberwolves. Sportando’s David Pick spoke with Brad Greenberg, Maccabi Haifa coach and ex 76ers GM, who denied all the rumors: ‘It is natural for people to link us up but I have not spoken to Allen in years’ said Greenberg.
Folks, can we move on here? Iverson is never going to play in the NBA again. Sorry. The risk is not worth the reward to teams. It in no way diminishes what Iverson was and how he changed the game and the culture around it. However, time marches on.
But Iverson rumors live on like Tupac.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9