Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Reality is sinking in for Tracy McGrady — training camps are open and underway, teams basically have their rosters set, Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played in the NBA in two seasons but he’s got a contract, yet McGrady can’t find a team to give him a shot.
Well, not on this continent anyway.
And without other options, McGrady is considering playing in China this season, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN (who had one of his sources confirm an overseas report).
The Chinese publication, 361 Sport, first reported on Tuesday that McGrady’s representatives are in discussions with the club, Qingdao Doublestar, of the Chinese Basketball Association.
The source cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that the 33-year-old McGrady will decide to play in China this season, even if he does not sign with an NBA team.
McGrady is still around, working out, hoping to land with a contender. And that’s not impossible — injuries and camp revelations can change the picture for a team. But that outcome is also not likely.
China doesn’t start it’s season until a month later than the NBA, giving McGrady time to see how things play out here for a couple of weeks before making a commitment to China. If he makes one at all.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 20
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10