Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Reality is sinking in for Tracy McGrady — training camps are open and underway, teams basically have their rosters set, Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played in the NBA in two seasons but he’s got a contract, yet McGrady can’t find a team to give him a shot.
Well, not on this continent anyway.
And without other options, McGrady is considering playing in China this season, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN (who had one of his sources confirm an overseas report).
The Chinese publication, 361 Sport, first reported on Tuesday that McGrady’s representatives are in discussions with the club, Qingdao Doublestar, of the Chinese Basketball Association.
The source cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that the 33-year-old McGrady will decide to play in China this season, even if he does not sign with an NBA team.
McGrady is still around, working out, hoping to land with a contender. And that’s not impossible — injuries and camp revelations can change the picture for a team. But that outcome is also not likely.
China doesn’t start it’s season until a month later than the NBA, giving McGrady time to see how things play out here for a couple of weeks before making a commitment to China. If he makes one at all.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13