Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Reality is sinking in for Tracy McGrady — training camps are open and underway, teams basically have their rosters set, Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played in the NBA in two seasons but he’s got a contract, yet McGrady can’t find a team to give him a shot.
Well, not on this continent anyway.
And without other options, McGrady is considering playing in China this season, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN (who had one of his sources confirm an overseas report).
The Chinese publication, 361 Sport, first reported on Tuesday that McGrady’s representatives are in discussions with the club, Qingdao Doublestar, of the Chinese Basketball Association.
The source cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that the 33-year-old McGrady will decide to play in China this season, even if he does not sign with an NBA team.
McGrady is still around, working out, hoping to land with a contender. And that’s not impossible — injuries and camp revelations can change the picture for a team. But that outcome is also not likely.
China doesn’t start it’s season until a month later than the NBA, giving McGrady time to see how things play out here for a couple of weeks before making a commitment to China. If he makes one at all.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11