Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Reality is sinking in for Tracy McGrady — training camps are open and underway, teams basically have their rosters set, Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played in the NBA in two seasons but he’s got a contract, yet McGrady can’t find a team to give him a shot.
Well, not on this continent anyway.
And without other options, McGrady is considering playing in China this season, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN (who had one of his sources confirm an overseas report).
The Chinese publication, 361 Sport, first reported on Tuesday that McGrady’s representatives are in discussions with the club, Qingdao Doublestar, of the Chinese Basketball Association.
The source cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that the 33-year-old McGrady will decide to play in China this season, even if he does not sign with an NBA team.
McGrady is still around, working out, hoping to land with a contender. And that’s not impossible — injuries and camp revelations can change the picture for a team. But that outcome is also not likely.
China doesn’t start it’s season until a month later than the NBA, giving McGrady time to see how things play out here for a couple of weeks before making a commitment to China. If he makes one at all.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8