Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
Reality is sinking in for Tracy McGrady — training camps are open and underway, teams basically have their rosters set, Rasheed Wallace hasn’t played in the NBA in two seasons but he’s got a contract, yet McGrady can’t find a team to give him a shot.
Well, not on this continent anyway.
And without other options, McGrady is considering playing in China this season, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN (who had one of his sources confirm an overseas report).
The Chinese publication, 361 Sport, first reported on Tuesday that McGrady’s representatives are in discussions with the club, Qingdao Doublestar, of the Chinese Basketball Association.
The source cautioned, however, that there is no guarantee that the 33-year-old McGrady will decide to play in China this season, even if he does not sign with an NBA team.
McGrady is still around, working out, hoping to land with a contender. And that’s not impossible — injuries and camp revelations can change the picture for a team. But that outcome is also not likely.
China doesn’t start it’s season until a month later than the NBA, giving McGrady time to see how things play out here for a couple of weeks before making a commitment to China. If he makes one at all.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 1
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 32
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 30
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25