Oct 4, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
How about this for a road trip?
The New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons are traveling to London for a regular season game Jan. 17, the league confirmed Thursday. The game will be a homecoming to the O2 Arena for the Knicks Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler, who won gold there with Team USA this summer in the London Olympics (most of the games were played in “the marshmallow” but the big games moved to the big arena).
This is all part of the international branding of the NBA as the premiere basketball league in the world. So are the Olympics, even if Mark Cuban is pissed he doesn’t directly get a cut of that.
“London was the epicenter of global sports this summer, and the Olympics were a tremendous showcase for basketball,” said NBA Commissioner David Stern. “Playing our third regular-season game in the city in three years and having historic franchises like the Knicks and Pistons serve as our ambassadors provide extraordinary opportunities to further the game’s growth and development in the UK and throughout Europe.”
This is not the first time the NBA has gone to London for a regular season game, the Raptors and then New Jersey Nets played a pair there in 2011. This should at least be a better game.
No details yet on where and when the game is televised. Both teams have a few days off on either side of this to keep the jet lag to a minimum.
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 10
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 38
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 70