Dirk Nowitzki calls flopping fines “a bunch of crap”

Oct 4, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT

350x-4 AP

The new fines for flopping announced by the league are not very popular in Dallas.

First Mavericks owner Mark Cuban questioned the impact of the fines and what the fallout would be, and now Dirk Nowitzki has come out and questioned how the league will enforce the rules. From the Dallas Morning News (hat tip to SLAM):

“I never looked at myself as a big flopper,’’ Nowitzki said Thursday after the Mavericks arrived in Germany for their preseason opener on Saturday. “If you play me physical then, obviously, I got to sell the call and get to the (free-throw) line. That’s just part of the game. We’ll have to see how they enforce that.

“I think it’s a bunch of crap to be honest with you. Are they going to come back after a game and fine you for flopping? That’s tough to do to me.’’

Nowitzki, like Blake Griffin before him, is hitting on the key here — how will this be enforced? Where are the lines going to be drawn? It’s easy to point out the obvious flops — Greivis Vasquez cannot run over Reggie Evans and send him flying — but most of what gets called by fans as a flop is a case where there is contact but then a player sells that for a foul.

Where do you want to draw that line? Is how a player falls after contact a true indication of how hard the contact was? Can you really judge that from video?

We will see where they draw the line. But know Nowitzki is not on board.

1. cosanostra71 - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

of course Nowitzki doesn’t like this rule. He’s a serial flopper!

2. eureca323 - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Floppers should be worried. They are gonna have to change their game. Im glad the NBA is doing this. Get over it floppers you are mad because you can’t trick refs anymore without being fined and being called out nationally.

3. fanz928 - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Why the hell will he need to flop he just shoot over everyone

• money2long - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

right, but that solves the offensive end. i feel like most of the flopping happens on the defensive end, usually when guys are scared to go for a block or want to make the other team turn the ball over due to the always hard to call charge violation.

4. hardballtalkusername - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM

“If you play me physical then, obviously, I got to sell the call and get to the (free-throw) line.”

No you don’t, if it’s a foul than it should be called. If it isn’t a foul than it shouldn’t be called. “Selling it” is annoying to most fans, and without fans, you wouldn’t have millions of dollars.

• zacksdad - Oct 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I totally agree with you. If the someone plays rough with this poor millionaire, he needs to fake a foul call to show the other guy to play nice with him. Maybe he needs to join a league that just plays HORSE or some version of flag basketball. Be a man like Kobe, he never whined when getting a broken nose in an All-Game.

5. steelers4385 - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Lets see how far lebron and the heat get now

6. mrcuret - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Lol! It’s funny to see the floppers complaining already! I’m glad the league is finally going to do something about it, since it looks like players are flopping more now than before, and that’s annoying, it’s like if they’re getting paid just to flop on every play (i.e. Lebron & Wade), players got to man up & just play the game, if they don’t like the contact well they shouldn’t be playing then.

• passerby23 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m glad they’re doing something about it too, but I don’t think fining guys is by itself the solution. The refs need to learn to call technical fouls for overt flops (which COULD be followed by league fines), but more importantly they need to learn how to identify more “subtle” flopping. The techs can be rescinded by the league later on if the refs got it totally wrong. But, I think it’s a good start to stop guys like Ginobili, Dirk, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Pierce, etc.

7. detroitcityryda - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Nowitzki just like griffin is a big flopper so he won’t like it when nba hit him with a 50k fine every time

8. albertmn - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

They should just start fining every flop if they want to try to stop it. Don’t make it tough. Fine everything that even looks a little bit like a flop. That would nip it in the bud. If you only fine the most egregious examples, players will still flop, but try to be just a little more subtle.

But, what I would actually guess is that the flopping fines will go the same way as the increased emphasis on traveling a few years ago. They will make a big deal about it, and then as players whine, the extra emphasis will just go away.

9. kingghidora - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

If I wanted to see bad acting I’d watch reality tv. The NBA isn’t a soap opera stage. It’s a place where actual sports take place, not bad acting drills. Well it’s supposed to be that anyway. Maybe it will be again. Good riddance to flopping. I think they’re going to ban contact between players in the NFL next year. What ever happened to that thing we called sports anyway. It’s dying quickly because bad acting is easier. I have been seeing QB’s act like they’re going to slide then ducking their head and getting the extra yard lately too. But any contact against a QB is subject to cost you a year’s pay (almost). It’s just sick really. It makes me want to go back to watching baseball.The only shortstop I ever saw faking getting cleated was Bud Harrelson. And he’s been retired a long, long time.

10. granadafan - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Of course a Euro would complain about flopping.

11. ramjam5 - Oct 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I don’t understand why people call this guy a flopper, everyone in the NBA flops or “overreacts” to contact.

12. albertmn - Oct 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I will be curious to see what they all include as flopping. The obvious is when a defender acts as if he was shot when a player drives into him. But, what about some players that instantly throw up their arms and flail around at the slightest touch when they drive the lane? I hope they bring the hammer down, as flopping adds nothing to the game, is annoying, and slows the game down when it does bring in calls from the refs that maybe weren’t focused on a specific aspect of the play but then see arms flailing.

13. kacapaco - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Crappy German. He grew up watching soccer, a game where flopping is an art and applauded by managers and players take pride of, and have been using it to his advantage against many(not all). Go to hell Dirk.

14. misterdreamer119 - Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Dirk gets lots of calls. Faking fouls is straight gayness boi. Play ball steady.

15. rodge1 - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Every player on every time flops or has flopped.

• zacksdad - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Yes, but some are worse than others. My team the Lakers had the inventor of the Flop, Vlade Divac. I hated when he flopped, even if he got the call.

I hate how the players say this will not stop the flopping. It is true, but it will slow it down and we will have a metric to see who the biggest floppers are. In the season and playoffs Kobe always gets into technical trouble and gets close to suspensions. When this happens he has to be more careful. So if they risk being suspended because they have excessive flops, those players will have to start playing like men.

16. rocketsbb - Oct 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Now that signing for delfino is a waste….

17. mazblast - Oct 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I’ll believe in the anti-flopping rules when the superstars get penalized for their “ooohhhh-someone-breathed-near-me-so-I’ll-fall-and-go-to-the-line” routines. This will happen at the same time that the league enforces the traveling rule equally, the three-second rule at all, pigs fly, and Santa Claus climbs down my chimney.

18. kavika6 - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

They started to penalize flopping in soccer, but it hasn’t made that “sport” any less boring.

Seriously though, will players like labron, wade, dirk, chris paul, nash and others be as successful without flopping? I doubt it, it’s a big part of their game.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches