Oct 3, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
How much do we miss the game? This much: We’re actually looking forward to the start of the preseason.
Yes, in this space a week ago we said the process is too long, that it shortchanges players who spend the month working without pay (with the NBA calling to remind that 50 percent of revenue generated in the preseason goes to the players, as revenue under the new collective-bargaining agreement).
But after having nothing at this time last year due to the lockout, the gradual roll out of the league allows for plenty of time to sample in between NFL and college-football fare.
So what’s about to commence? Here’s what:
Friday, Celtics vs. Fenerbahce Ulker in Istanbul, Turkey: Kevin Garnett gets an early chance to further complicate international relations. Word is he already has forgotten the phone numbers of all the Fenerbahce players, as well as Ray Allen‘s. Fenerbahce says that’s a shame since they’re nice to talk to on the phone.
Saturday, Nuggets vs. Clippers in Las Vegas: Now what possibly could go wrong with sending a pair of NBA teams to Vegas for an exhibition, including one that features JaVale McGee? Think of it as a return to the original “Hangover.” Wondering how many players the Clippers will be able to round up after the fact to take to China and how the Nuggets are going to be able to get that lion out of their hotel suite and back to Mike Tyson’s house.
Sunday: Magic vs. Hornets in Mexico City: And this is an attempt by the NBA to promote the game internationally? Or are they trying to keep the league’s top teams out of harm’s way?
Sunday: Warriors vs. Lakers in Fresno, Calif.: What if Steve Nash‘s first pass as a Laker isn’t to Kobe?
Monday, Real Madrid at Toronto: Flash back to 2005 when the Raptors lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv. Another humbling NBA preseason moment on the horizon? It sort of would be like Barca losing at home to Toronto FC.
Oct. 10: Pacers vs. Timberwolves in Fargo, N.D.: They’re playing in the FargoDome. That is all.
No, matter. It’s as close as we’ll come to real hoops until Oct. 30, and the mere fact they’re bouncing balls anywhere puts us ahead of where we stood last year at this time.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final