Oct 3, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:57 pm: Finally it is official, Rasheed Wallace has signed with the Knicks. Our long national nightmare is over. You can go about your lives again.
9:17 am: It’s the details. It’s always in the details.
Rasheed Wallace is supposed to be a Knick. After being out of the league for a couple seasons he reportedly reached a handshake deal with New York. But he wasn’t at media day and wasn’t on the court for all (maybe any) of team’s first practice on Tuesday. So what gives?
The two sides are hammering out contract details still, according to the New York Post.
Agent Bill Strickland told The Post he’s still hammering out the final “minor details” of Wallace’s pact, and “I fully expect and anticipate Rasheed will be with the Knicks this season and it should be very soon.’’
“We’re trying to get a contract together, so right now he’s not part of the team,’’ (Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said.
The Knicks first practice was reportedly heavy on conditioning drills, and based on the word that leaked out of ‘Sheed’s workouts with Knicks players that is the one thing he needs. He can still shoot the rock, he still can play the game at age 38, but his conditioning needed work.
We’ll see if this works out, if Wallace will join the team and make the Knicks the oldest team in NBA history. Literally. For a lot of players you wouldn’t blink about this kind of contract glitch, but for the unpredictable Wallace it becomes something worth watching. The outcome could still be up in the air, whatever those details are.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2