Oct 3, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:57 pm: Finally it is official, Rasheed Wallace has signed with the Knicks. Our long national nightmare is over. You can go about your lives again.
9:17 am: It’s the details. It’s always in the details.
Rasheed Wallace is supposed to be a Knick. After being out of the league for a couple seasons he reportedly reached a handshake deal with New York. But he wasn’t at media day and wasn’t on the court for all (maybe any) of team’s first practice on Tuesday. So what gives?
The two sides are hammering out contract details still, according to the New York Post.
Agent Bill Strickland told The Post he’s still hammering out the final “minor details” of Wallace’s pact, and “I fully expect and anticipate Rasheed will be with the Knicks this season and it should be very soon.’’
“We’re trying to get a contract together, so right now he’s not part of the team,’’ (Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said.
The Knicks first practice was reportedly heavy on conditioning drills, and based on the word that leaked out of ‘Sheed’s workouts with Knicks players that is the one thing he needs. He can still shoot the rock, he still can play the game at age 38, but his conditioning needed work.
We’ll see if this works out, if Wallace will join the team and make the Knicks the oldest team in NBA history. Literally. For a lot of players you wouldn’t blink about this kind of contract glitch, but for the unpredictable Wallace it becomes something worth watching. The outcome could still be up in the air, whatever those details are.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40