Oct 3, 2012, 9:17 AM EST
UPDATE 1:57 pm: Finally it is official, Rasheed Wallace has signed with the Knicks. Our long national nightmare is over. You can go about your lives again.
9:17 am: It’s the details. It’s always in the details.
Rasheed Wallace is supposed to be a Knick. After being out of the league for a couple seasons he reportedly reached a handshake deal with New York. But he wasn’t at media day and wasn’t on the court for all (maybe any) of team’s first practice on Tuesday. So what gives?
The two sides are hammering out contract details still, according to the New York Post.
Agent Bill Strickland told The Post he’s still hammering out the final “minor details” of Wallace’s pact, and “I fully expect and anticipate Rasheed will be with the Knicks this season and it should be very soon.’’
“We’re trying to get a contract together, so right now he’s not part of the team,’’ (Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said.
The Knicks first practice was reportedly heavy on conditioning drills, and based on the word that leaked out of ‘Sheed’s workouts with Knicks players that is the one thing he needs. He can still shoot the rock, he still can play the game at age 38, but his conditioning needed work.
We’ll see if this works out, if Wallace will join the team and make the Knicks the oldest team in NBA history. Literally. For a lot of players you wouldn’t blink about this kind of contract glitch, but for the unpredictable Wallace it becomes something worth watching. The outcome could still be up in the air, whatever those details are.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)