Oct 3, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:57 pm: Finally it is official, Rasheed Wallace has signed with the Knicks. Our long national nightmare is over. You can go about your lives again.
9:17 am: It’s the details. It’s always in the details.
Rasheed Wallace is supposed to be a Knick. After being out of the league for a couple seasons he reportedly reached a handshake deal with New York. But he wasn’t at media day and wasn’t on the court for all (maybe any) of team’s first practice on Tuesday. So what gives?
The two sides are hammering out contract details still, according to the New York Post.
Agent Bill Strickland told The Post he’s still hammering out the final “minor details” of Wallace’s pact, and “I fully expect and anticipate Rasheed will be with the Knicks this season and it should be very soon.’’
“We’re trying to get a contract together, so right now he’s not part of the team,’’ (Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said.
The Knicks first practice was reportedly heavy on conditioning drills, and based on the word that leaked out of ‘Sheed’s workouts with Knicks players that is the one thing he needs. He can still shoot the rock, he still can play the game at age 38, but his conditioning needed work.
We’ll see if this works out, if Wallace will join the team and make the Knicks the oldest team in NBA history. Literally. For a lot of players you wouldn’t blink about this kind of contract glitch, but for the unpredictable Wallace it becomes something worth watching. The outcome could still be up in the air, whatever those details are.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional