Oct 3, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:57 pm: Finally it is official, Rasheed Wallace has signed with the Knicks. Our long national nightmare is over. You can go about your lives again.
9:17 am: It’s the details. It’s always in the details.
Rasheed Wallace is supposed to be a Knick. After being out of the league for a couple seasons he reportedly reached a handshake deal with New York. But he wasn’t at media day and wasn’t on the court for all (maybe any) of team’s first practice on Tuesday. So what gives?
The two sides are hammering out contract details still, according to the New York Post.
Agent Bill Strickland told The Post he’s still hammering out the final “minor details” of Wallace’s pact, and “I fully expect and anticipate Rasheed will be with the Knicks this season and it should be very soon.’’
“We’re trying to get a contract together, so right now he’s not part of the team,’’ (Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said.
The Knicks first practice was reportedly heavy on conditioning drills, and based on the word that leaked out of ‘Sheed’s workouts with Knicks players that is the one thing he needs. He can still shoot the rock, he still can play the game at age 38, but his conditioning needed work.
We’ll see if this works out, if Wallace will join the team and make the Knicks the oldest team in NBA history. Literally. For a lot of players you wouldn’t blink about this kind of contract glitch, but for the unpredictable Wallace it becomes something worth watching. The outcome could still be up in the air, whatever those details are.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4