Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
At the end of last season, a lot of newspaper ink and Internet bandwidth in and around Chicago was spent focusing on Luol Deng’s wrist. He could have gotten surgery on it but instead he played through it then played for Great Britain in the London Olympics.
Now he is back in Bulls training camp, and no surgery.
So one of the first questions he was asked on media day was about the wrist. But Deng isn’t really worried about it, he told Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com. He’s just going to play through it, and the Bulls are good with that.
“The wrist is the wrist. It is what it is. I’m expecting to be asked about it all year, but I’ve just got to go out and play, play as hard as I can, do what I can do. Whether it’s one arm or two arms or no arms, I’m going to be the best that I can be. That’s the goal, just go out there and play as hard as I can. It felt great in the Olympics. Since I’ve been back practicing, it’s been feeling great and so far, so good.
“If it was the same as last year, I would have went ahead and did the surgery. It just kept improving. During the Olympics, it was a lot better than it was at the end of the year. The strength of it has definitely increased and I’m able to do a lot more things than I was able to do. It’s been getting better, so I’ve just got to continue with what I’ve been doing and keep doing it.”
That wrist is going to have to help carry a lot more weight for Bulls this season with Derrick Rose out for an extended time recovering from his torn ACL. But both coach Tom Thibodeau and GM Gar Forman said Deng had looked good so far at camp.
If the wrist flairs up and the Bulls struggle — both genuine possibilities — then maybe he changes his mind. But for now, the Bulls have Deng on the court and looking pretty good.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48