Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
At the end of last season, a lot of newspaper ink and Internet bandwidth in and around Chicago was spent focusing on Luol Deng’s wrist. He could have gotten surgery on it but instead he played through it then played for Great Britain in the London Olympics.
Now he is back in Bulls training camp, and no surgery.
So one of the first questions he was asked on media day was about the wrist. But Deng isn’t really worried about it, he told Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com. He’s just going to play through it, and the Bulls are good with that.
“The wrist is the wrist. It is what it is. I’m expecting to be asked about it all year, but I’ve just got to go out and play, play as hard as I can, do what I can do. Whether it’s one arm or two arms or no arms, I’m going to be the best that I can be. That’s the goal, just go out there and play as hard as I can. It felt great in the Olympics. Since I’ve been back practicing, it’s been feeling great and so far, so good.
“If it was the same as last year, I would have went ahead and did the surgery. It just kept improving. During the Olympics, it was a lot better than it was at the end of the year. The strength of it has definitely increased and I’m able to do a lot more things than I was able to do. It’s been getting better, so I’ve just got to continue with what I’ve been doing and keep doing it.”
That wrist is going to have to help carry a lot more weight for Bulls this season with Derrick Rose out for an extended time recovering from his torn ACL. But both coach Tom Thibodeau and GM Gar Forman said Deng had looked good so far at camp.
If the wrist flairs up and the Bulls struggle — both genuine possibilities — then maybe he changes his mind. But for now, the Bulls have Deng on the court and looking pretty good.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 32
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23