Darko Milicic, professional carp fisherman. Not making that up.

Oct 3, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

Darko Milicic AP

You think you know Darko Milicic. You don’t know Darko Milicic.

He is more than a Celtics backup center, a draft bust at No. 2 but a guy who carved out a nine-year NBA career as a decent backup big. He’s not just another faceless Euro in the NBA.

He’s a professional carp fisher.

I couldn’t have made that up if I tried. Friend of this blog Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com got him to talk about it (hat tip to BDL).

Milicic began fishing as a child and took up the sport professionally five years ago. He has competed in carp fishing tournaments with his team, Melezra, during the offseason where he lives 45 minutes outside of Belgrade.

“I fish carp professionally back home,” said Milicic. “I go to the World Cups, European Championships. I have a team so that’s what I enjoy the most. I’ve got an RV here from the US. We travel, we fish for four to seven days straight.”

Admit it, you would pay to hang out with Darko in his RV fishing for a week.

I’ll admit I’d do it. And also that I never saw this coming. Never.

1. michflaguy - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Good thing he’s got something to fall back on…because he SUCKS as a basketball player.
    Professional CARP fisherman???
    Man, the idiotic articles about this fool just never seems to stop.
    I’ll bet LeBron is a better carp fisherman than Darko. : – )

2. tigers182 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM

It’s rare to see “Darko Milicic” and “professional” in the same sentence.

3. thraiderskin - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Carp are considered a garbage fish… who knew there were professionals who caught them?

4. justcuz15 - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This is a dumb article, and darko sucks, but i gotta say that #99 looks cool on a basketball jersey.

5. dannomac21 - Oct 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

i wonder how many of his fishing teammates survived. darko will kill someone to get the biggest carp

6. mauldawg - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:36 AM

To all you posters that keep saying Darko sucks as a basketball player,how many NBA games have you played in?How many millions of dollars has the NBA paid you?Just as I thought,none.You all suck as human beings.Any of you want to tell Darko that he sucks to his face?Didnt think so.Just a bunch of punk internet posters that have never done anything positive in your lives.Now go out to the mailbox and get your gov check.Maybe Darko is tired of you using his tax money for your frre housing,free meds,free phone free food.I doubt any of you have ever worked a day in your life.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches