You think Kobe is selfish, can’t mesh with Nash. He thinks you’re dumb.

Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT

Lakers new guard Steve Nash of Canada smiles as he walks past Kobe Bryant during NBA media day for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team in Los Angeles Reuters

There has been a lot of speculation about how the Lakers will mesh this season. Specifically Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

These are both guys used to having the ball in their hands. Both guys used to making decisions. The leaders. There are people convinced Kobe can’t put his ego and scoring mentality aside to let Nash have some control. Some people think this pairing will not work.

Kobe thinks those people are dumb.

Here is what Kobe said on the Mason and Ireland Show on ESPN 710 radio in Los Angeles (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“Here’s the thing: Some people are just very, very dumb. I keep hearing it from some people that I just want to score and that other stuff. Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them. You can’t be selfish and win one championship, let alone five. That argument should be in the coffin by now. I don’t like having the ball.”

I think this Lakers pairing — and blending in Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol — will work because they all play different positions and roles on the court, and because these are veteran, high basketball IQ players. This is not overlapping skill sets or guys who will not share the rock, these are guys willing to share.

It’s not going to be instantaneous, that’s the kind of sports talk radio pronouncements that make that format unlistenable at times. But it should mesh. The Lakers team you see around the All-Star break will be different than November. And they likely will look like fully formed title contenders.

1. papichulo55 - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Assuming everyody is healthy. Lotta mileage on that squad. Just sayin..

2. brutl - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Nash looks awful in the gold uniform.

• AlohaMrHand - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It’s the haircut

• money2long - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM

i concur.
        i rather his signature long hair to flow in the wind while he’s running the fast break.

3. crtzinc - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Kobe has never had a chance to simply play true shooting guard without having to worry about handling the ball to facilitate at some point during the game. For the first time in his career he actually has a point guard who can facilitate the entire game well. Kobe has said all along he can now go back to his natural position and score off the ball. He’s blessed because at this point in his career he needs someone to consistently get him open shots on the wing.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Kobe has no had a true point guard because he dominates the ball. Phil Jackson already coached a ball dominating SG in Jordan so he knew a true point guard would be lost in the offense. Jordan & Kobe have always had to handle the ball and create for themselves; both bucking the triangle offense that Phil Jackson tries to run.

Anyways, Kobe is going to have a tough time giving up the rock but he has to. Nash runs an offense far more efficiently and if Kobe learns to play off the ball then the Lakers will be great.

4. losangeleschargers17 - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Kobe thinks we’re all dumb, or we all think he is dumb. I will go with the later since this fool didn’t even graduate from college, and my 21 year old but already has.

• sourcesclosetothesituation - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Yes clearly had he forgone the NBA for a college degree he would have been much more successful.

• hoopshort - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think the addition of Nash will free up Kobe even more. Not having the ball in his hands is going to cut down on the double teams and if they are cheating to get to Kobe to double him Nash will pick them apart. I see a lot of zone defense agaisnt the Lakers this year.

• opinevain - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Dude, Duke was one the schools vying for Kobe out of high school and last I checked Duke only recruits astute scholars who can fit the bill academically. And he speaks about 3 different languages. Name a college graduate coming out right now speaking fluent english, let alone three different languages?

And its “latter” not later, Later!

• jimeejohnson - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Americans, in their provincial wisdom, are rarely multi-lingual.

• mightyquinn69 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wow! Reading is obviously, not one of your strong points. Kobe said, and I quote “Some people are just very, very dumb”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t put myself in that category. Now, your 21 year may have a college degree, but I’m willing to bet, he/she, not you will EVER make the money the he does. And he doesn’t have a education loan to pay back. Now who’s the fool/dummy?

• skids003 - Oct 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Just because he can play a ball game better than someone else doesn’t make him smarter, only more athletic. And it’s a shame that these dummies are the ones our society rewards these days.

• mightyquinn69 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

@losangeleschargers17
      PS: He only thinks you are dumb, not all of us…lol

• urodaddy07 - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

So you are basically saying that anyone who doesn’t have a college degree is dumb? Wow! That’s pretty dumb.
      By the way I think you meant to say “I will go with the latter……”

• joshm5683 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I’m assuming you meant butt, not but……..guessing you didn’t graduate as an English major

• manchestermiracle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Your 21-yr-old “but” has graduated? From what, an online diploma mill?

5. butkusditka - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

@Losangelaschargers
    There is a difference between intelligence and education. Einstein was a horrible student. Don’t they teach these kind of things in school? Don’t be “dumb” college boy.

Sincerely,
    Uneducated 31 year old entrepreneur

• mightyquinn69 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I second that…

6. goldmember21 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I don’t like having the ball? Thats hilarious!!

7. theboysofdallas - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I would skip college too if I was going to make millions of dollars

8. rodge1 - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

LMAO!!!… Kobe calling everyone dumb while he forks millions of dollars for getting caught cheating on his hottie wife multiple times.

9. itsonlyaspeedbump - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Um…Kobe hater here, but the idea that he is too selfish to play with these guys is a bit old. At this point in his career, he understood that the Lakers weren’t getting past the Thunder without some fundamental changes to their lineup. He also knows that how he is perceived in the context of NBA history depends heavily on if he can get more championships, not the numbers he puts up, or whether he controls the ball. He is one of the smartest players ever, so he’ll let Nash handle the ball to make scoring easier on himself.

Having said that, his comment about having more titles than any of his generation was irritating. In the minds of many (including me), he was the best player on his team for only 2 of 5 rings. Its partially for this reason why guys like Kareem are not always mentioned among the greatest of the great (he has the same number of rings as MJ, but played with Oscar Robinson and Magic to get them).

10. spavs412 - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Gotta love Kobe I got 5 lol

11. albertmn - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I don’t like Kobe. He can be selfish. But, he is a smart enough player to know that Nash can help him. He may still want to dominate the ball at times, and it may take a while for them to mesh (as it did for the Heat). But, Kobe is so competitive, and wants to win so badly that he will find a way to work with Nash (and D12).

He knows that working together and helping to possibly win a championship will do more for his legacy than scoring points will. That might be the one way he is selfish. He will want a championship more for his legacy than for his team. But, he will still do what will help that possible championship, so it will still work.

12. lakerluver - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Kobe is right…Rarely has an all-time great been criticized as much as he has. It’s mostly by ignorant “fans”. Five rings (and counting), and 1st ballot HOF credentials speak loud and clear.

• borderline1988 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

His personality might just have something to do with that…

And I beg to differ: Lebron takes more critiscm than Kobe, and he’s by every count (besides number of championship rings) a better player than Kobe is.

13. omniusprime - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Kobe will show the ignorant fans just how good a team player he can be. Kobe is the leader and when things get tough in a game Kobe is always ready to stand up and take charge. What we ned to see is Clueless Coach Brown have a different idea on offense than giving Kobe the ball too many times. Go Kobe!!!! Go Lakers!!!!

14. talkingfan - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I think Kobe is a smart player and any smart player will come to realize that Nash can and will only help not just him, but each other. ROLL LAKERS!!!!

15. paulhargis53 - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Kobe being a pos as a human being and being an adulterous a hole has nothing to do with the “hate” either, right?

Evidently, saying anything further about the matter gets a post censored.

People don’t hate the ballplayer, they hate the egotistical pos human.

• ocgunslinger - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

No Paul, from reading your posts… take a look in the mirror to see a egotistical POS human.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You’ve got paul’s #!

16. deshackle - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

“Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them.” And, amazingly, he won all five of them by himself.

17. paulhargis53 - Oct 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

oc, thank you for the compliment!

You think that posting of yours is a deterrent? I’m laughing at you.

Too bad you can’t stick to the topic and not worry about me.
    You tools just can’t though, can’t just not read after you see my screen name.

Weakminded people…

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches