Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
These are both guys used to having the ball in their hands. Both guys used to making decisions. The leaders. There are people convinced Kobe can’t put his ego and scoring mentality aside to let Nash have some control. Some people think this pairing will not work.
Kobe thinks those people are dumb.
“Here’s the thing: Some people are just very, very dumb. I keep hearing it from some people that I just want to score and that other stuff. Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them. You can’t be selfish and win one championship, let alone five. That argument should be in the coffin by now. I don’t like having the ball.”
I think this Lakers pairing — and blending in Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol — will work because they all play different positions and roles on the court, and because these are veteran, high basketball IQ players. This is not overlapping skill sets or guys who will not share the rock, these are guys willing to share.
It’s not going to be instantaneous, that’s the kind of sports talk radio pronouncements that make that format unlistenable at times. But it should mesh. The Lakers team you see around the All-Star break will be different than November. And they likely will look like fully formed title contenders.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 11
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 23
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23