Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
These are both guys used to having the ball in their hands. Both guys used to making decisions. The leaders. There are people convinced Kobe can’t put his ego and scoring mentality aside to let Nash have some control. Some people think this pairing will not work.
Kobe thinks those people are dumb.
“Here’s the thing: Some people are just very, very dumb. I keep hearing it from some people that I just want to score and that other stuff. Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them. You can’t be selfish and win one championship, let alone five. That argument should be in the coffin by now. I don’t like having the ball.”
I think this Lakers pairing — and blending in Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol — will work because they all play different positions and roles on the court, and because these are veteran, high basketball IQ players. This is not overlapping skill sets or guys who will not share the rock, these are guys willing to share.
It’s not going to be instantaneous, that’s the kind of sports talk radio pronouncements that make that format unlistenable at times. But it should mesh. The Lakers team you see around the All-Star break will be different than November. And they likely will look like fully formed title contenders.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 40
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23