Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
These are both guys used to having the ball in their hands. Both guys used to making decisions. The leaders. There are people convinced Kobe can’t put his ego and scoring mentality aside to let Nash have some control. Some people think this pairing will not work.
Kobe thinks those people are dumb.
“Here’s the thing: Some people are just very, very dumb. I keep hearing it from some people that I just want to score and that other stuff. Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them. You can’t be selfish and win one championship, let alone five. That argument should be in the coffin by now. I don’t like having the ball.”
I think this Lakers pairing — and blending in Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol — will work because they all play different positions and roles on the court, and because these are veteran, high basketball IQ players. This is not overlapping skill sets or guys who will not share the rock, these are guys willing to share.
It’s not going to be instantaneous, that’s the kind of sports talk radio pronouncements that make that format unlistenable at times. But it should mesh. The Lakers team you see around the All-Star break will be different than November. And they likely will look like fully formed title contenders.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6