Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
These are both guys used to having the ball in their hands. Both guys used to making decisions. The leaders. There are people convinced Kobe can’t put his ego and scoring mentality aside to let Nash have some control. Some people think this pairing will not work.
Kobe thinks those people are dumb.
“Here’s the thing: Some people are just very, very dumb. I keep hearing it from some people that I just want to score and that other stuff. Nobody has won more championships than me in my entire generation. I’ve got five of them. You can’t be selfish and win one championship, let alone five. That argument should be in the coffin by now. I don’t like having the ball.”
I think this Lakers pairing — and blending in Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol — will work because they all play different positions and roles on the court, and because these are veteran, high basketball IQ players. This is not overlapping skill sets or guys who will not share the rock, these are guys willing to share.
It’s not going to be instantaneous, that’s the kind of sports talk radio pronouncements that make that format unlistenable at times. But it should mesh. The Lakers team you see around the All-Star break will be different than November. And they likely will look like fully formed title contenders.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9