Oct 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Doug Collins has earned the right to stick around in Philadelphia — he has instilled a defensive mindset and toughness in the team that made them respectable. It helped them get past Chicago in the first round of the playoffs last year (that and the Derrick Rose injury). Now he is going to have a couple of seasons to show what he can do with a real center in the middle and his young pieces maturing around him.
The Sixers picked up the 2013-14 team option on Collins contract Monday, the team announced.
“Doug Collins has repeatedly proven that he is one of the best head coaches in the NBA and we consider ourselves very fortunate to have him here in Philadelphia,” said Sixers Managing Owner Josh Harris. “We look forward to Doug’s continued leadership, passion and dedication to this organization and our fans, and know that he will work tirelessly in order to put our team in the best position to succeed every time they step on the court.”
Collins now has a roster with big man Andrew Bynum in the paint — and Collins old-school ways could be the kind of push Bynum needs. Phil Jackson was always a “let them figure it out for themselves” kind of coach, which works well with veteran teams. Bynum might thrive with more direct instruction. Plus there is real talent like Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner.
Collins has helped change the fortunes of this team around, he deserved to have his extension. Now we will see what he can do with a more talented team.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48