Oct 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
Doug Collins has earned the right to stick around in Philadelphia — he has instilled a defensive mindset and toughness in the team that made them respectable. It helped them get past Chicago in the first round of the playoffs last year (that and the Derrick Rose injury). Now he is going to have a couple of seasons to show what he can do with a real center in the middle and his young pieces maturing around him.
The Sixers picked up the 2013-14 team option on Collins contract Monday, the team announced.
“Doug Collins has repeatedly proven that he is one of the best head coaches in the NBA and we consider ourselves very fortunate to have him here in Philadelphia,” said Sixers Managing Owner Josh Harris. “We look forward to Doug’s continued leadership, passion and dedication to this organization and our fans, and know that he will work tirelessly in order to put our team in the best position to succeed every time they step on the court.”
Collins now has a roster with big man Andrew Bynum in the paint — and Collins old-school ways could be the kind of push Bynum needs. Phil Jackson was always a “let them figure it out for themselves” kind of coach, which works well with veteran teams. Bynum might thrive with more direct instruction. Plus there is real talent like Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner.
Collins has helped change the fortunes of this team around, he deserved to have his extension. Now we will see what he can do with a more talented team.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)