Oct 2, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Did you really think otherwise?
Did you really doubt the Lakers were still Kobe Bryant’s team?
This was reportedly one of the reasons Dwight Howard was hesitant to come to Los Angeles — they talked last year and Kobe told Howard that the Lakers were his team, and at time Howard would be offensive option three or four. Howard was used to being the man, he didn’t want to be a guy there to defend and grab boards. But situations changed Howard (and to a lesser degree, Kobe).
When asked whose team it was at media day, Kobe tried to be diplomatic for a second. Then he spoke the truth. Via Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLA.com.
“I got a question earlier about whose team this is,” Bryant said Monday at the Lakers annual media day. “I don’t want to get into the, ‘Well, we share…’
“No, it’s my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight, when I retire, this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so that when I step away, this organization will ride on as if I never left.”
Really, that’s as good as you’re going to get from him. It’s kind of like what coach Mike Brown said about who would take the last shot on this team — ideally Kobe, but now we have more options if the defense overloads him.
We will see how it all plays out.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay