Make no mistake, Lakers are still Kobe’s team. For now.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:31 AM EST

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant answers questions during NBA media day for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team in Los Angeles Reuters

Did you really think otherwise?

Did you really doubt the Lakers were still Kobe Bryant’s team?

This was reportedly one of the reasons Dwight Howard was hesitant to come to Los Angeles — they talked last year and Kobe told Howard that the Lakers were his team, and at time Howard would be offensive option three or four. Howard was used to being the man, he didn’t want to be a guy there to defend and grab boards. But situations changed Howard (and to a lesser degree, Kobe).

When asked whose team it was at media day, Kobe tried to be diplomatic for a second. Then he spoke the truth. Via Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLA.com.

“I got a question earlier about whose team this is,” Bryant said Monday at the Lakers annual media day. “I don’t want to get into the, ‘Well, we share…’

“No, it’s my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight, when I retire, this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so that when I step away, this organization will ride on as if I never left.”

Really, that’s as good as you’re going to get from him. It’s kind of like what coach Mike Brown said about who would take the last shot on this team — ideally Kobe, but now we have more options if the defense overloads him.

We will see how it all plays out.

1. SH4DY - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

He is speaking the truth but it sounds cocky af….

2. fanz928 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It’s not kobe’s team no more he’ll have to adjust to Howard and Nash

• money2long - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

firstly, when you make the kind of impactful additions the lakers made, everyone will have to make some sort of adjustment.
      secondly, this is kobe’s team from the standpoint of when the opposing team’s head coach goes to sleep at night with a game against LA the next day, the first person he is thinking about limiting is kobe. and that is still the case.

3. fanz928 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It’s not kobe’s team no more he’ll have to adjust to Howard and Nash

4. manchestermiracle - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Of course it’s not “Kobe’s team.” Whatever the hell that’s supposed to mean. Bryant has the experience, the elder status, the rings, etc. So he’s the team leader. Last time I looked it was the Buss family’s team. They own it. Howard will be successful on this team as long as he, like every other player, understands his place in it. Just like Bryant understands his place in it. There isn’t any player in the world (Michael Jordan included) who could win a game of one-on-five. Just another attempt by Helin to conjure up dissent where it doesn’t (yet) exist. We WILL see how it all plays out, but I constantly get the impression Helin hopes it will all implode.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

…Kobe said in the article, “This is my team.”

Here’s the quote: “No, it’s my team.” – Kobe Bryant

So clearly, Kobe Bryant thinks it’s his team, since he said, “It’s my team.”

Did you even read the article?

• manchestermiracle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Kobe meant he’s the leader. I’m as tired of this stupid misconception as he is. He’s the leader, he does not own the team. Therefore, in that context, it is not his team. He’s talking about being the leader and I think he said “No, it’s my team” to shut people up about it. Yeah, I read the article. Have you ever read between the lines?

5. butkusditka - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

No!……..mine!

6. kso1234 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Way to go Dwight, be “the man” on your team. Create your own path. (Sarcasm).

7. misterdreamer119 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Mike brown is gone after this season. Thunder in finals again.

8. passerby23 - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

It is Kobe’s team, but it would be nice to hear the guy say it with a little more humility.

Kobe: “Well, I consider myself the team’s leader, but we’ve got a lot of guys who can step up.”

9. wfon1 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

nooooo! not the “this is my team” topic again?!
    couldnt stand it when Shaq said it, now Kobe.
    dont like it.

10. lakerluver - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

^^Last I checked Kobe & Shaq won 3 rings. Look, Kobe’s one of the smartest dudes in the NBA. He realizes what needs to be done for him to get another ring, which is all he has left to play for at this point.

11. omniusprime - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Kobe is the best NBA player of his generation without a doubt, the rings prove it. Howard would be wise to listen to Kobe who has been where Howard wants to go, championship land. Kobe had to cool his jets when Shaq was The Man, so Howard just has to enjoy having Kobe in charge. Without that pressure Howard could really shine and truly become Superman #5 of Laker centers. Go Kobe!!! Go Howard!!! Go Lakers!!!

12. talkingfan - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Kobe ur my guy, I love ur game and the LAKERS. Still yet some things don’t need to be said, it will show on the floor. Get over urself for ring number six.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches