Oct 2, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
This is far more innocent sounding than the headline implies. And as much as it is a stupid move, this story really just worries me more about the fine folks working for TSA than it does the individual involved.
New Orleans Hornets VP Joshua Richardson had allegedly taken the weapon on his trip to the New York area by accident after he grabbed his wife’s bag containing the weapon, instead of his own.
The b-ball blunder came to light last night after TSA agents at Newark Airport found the .38-caliber handgun in the luggage as Richardson tried to fly home, Port Authority police reported… He was charged with one count of criminal possession of a weapon and was expected to be released on his own recognizance.
The gun is registered to his wife and it sounds like an innocent mistake. I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, because I can’t believe he was stupid enough to try to take a gun on a plane.
How did it get through TSA the first time, from New Orleans to Newark? It had to get up there, how did it get missed the first time around? This concerns me far more than what he accidentally did it.
Second, based on personal experience, taking something of your wife’s on accident will get him in far more trouble than he got in with TSA. If I took my wife’s bag on accident on a trip, I might as well have just stayed in New York.
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 0
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 26
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23