Oct 2, 2012, 11:49 PM EDT
This shouldn’t be about if Dwight Howard can play in a meaningless exhibition game. Nor should it be about Dwight Howard being ready to play for the Lakers on Oct. 30.
It’s about games in May and June. It’s about the next six years.
What the Lakers don’t want is Howard’s surgically repaired back to become a lingering, chronic thing.
Lakers doctors were comfortable with Howard getting out there and going through a full practice with the Lakers on Tuesday (although this was not a high contact practice. And that has Howard talking about playing in preseason games, reports the Los Angeles Daily News.
“I don’t know the date when I’m going to return, but I’m looking forward to (today’s) practice to see how my body feels when I wake up,” Howard said. “We can only go by time right now and how I feel after practice. We’re not in a rush. These guys need me for the whole season and not a couple of preseason games.”
If Howard is healthy and ready to go, then he should play. But he needs to be 100 percent. Completely back. Do not rush this. The Lakers have title potential but they can’t screw it up worrying about preseason games.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 0
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 35
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 23
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 15
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay