Oct 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony is at least saying the right things.
The Knicks need to get Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire meshing together on offense. You know it. I know it. There are people in Thailand who know it. Mike Woodson knows it too, but to keep his job as Knicks coach he had to have ‘Melo on his side and the result was Woodson choosing to run the offense through ‘Melo. The result was too much isolation basketball that could be defended, the result was too many long two pointers and very little efficiency.
“For me personally, I’m in my 10th year,’’ Anthony said. “Everyone pretty much knows I can score the basketball. But for me to challenge myself, instill the trust into my teammates to give them that confidence when they do shoot the ball, to have that confidence that they can make it happen as well.
“I’m done trying to score 35, 40 points to win the basketball game. I don’t want that role anymore. I can do it. That’s what I do. But in order for this team to be successful, for guys we have right now, we need a more well-rounded team. If I have to sacrifice on the offensive end, I’m willing to do it. It’s easy for me to sit here and say it. But this year it’s going to be locking in and doing it as the leader of this team.’’
Carmelo was on Team USA this summer and had to sacrifice. He was around guys who won rings because they were willing to sacrifice to keep other good players on their team in the mix.
No doubt, intellectually Anthony gets it. No doubt he wants to be a guy who can give up a little to lead a team to a title, like LeBron James learned to do. Like Kobe Bryant learned to do because he was around veteran players from his rookie year (even though it doesn’t always seem like Kobe sacrifices, he does).
But it’s another thing to do it. Another thing still to do it every night and build that trust.
Anthony is saying all the right things. Now we need to see him do it. Talk is cheap.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20