Oct 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony is at least saying the right things.
The Knicks need to get Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire meshing together on offense. You know it. I know it. There are people in Thailand who know it. Mike Woodson knows it too, but to keep his job as Knicks coach he had to have ‘Melo on his side and the result was Woodson choosing to run the offense through ‘Melo. The result was too much isolation basketball that could be defended, the result was too many long two pointers and very little efficiency.
“For me personally, I’m in my 10th year,’’ Anthony said. “Everyone pretty much knows I can score the basketball. But for me to challenge myself, instill the trust into my teammates to give them that confidence when they do shoot the ball, to have that confidence that they can make it happen as well.
“I’m done trying to score 35, 40 points to win the basketball game. I don’t want that role anymore. I can do it. That’s what I do. But in order for this team to be successful, for guys we have right now, we need a more well-rounded team. If I have to sacrifice on the offensive end, I’m willing to do it. It’s easy for me to sit here and say it. But this year it’s going to be locking in and doing it as the leader of this team.’’
Carmelo was on Team USA this summer and had to sacrifice. He was around guys who won rings because they were willing to sacrifice to keep other good players on their team in the mix.
No doubt, intellectually Anthony gets it. No doubt he wants to be a guy who can give up a little to lead a team to a title, like LeBron James learned to do. Like Kobe Bryant learned to do because he was around veteran players from his rookie year (even though it doesn’t always seem like Kobe sacrifices, he does).
But it’s another thing to do it. Another thing still to do it every night and build that trust.
Anthony is saying all the right things. Now we need to see him do it. Talk is cheap.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13