Carmelo Anthony promises less scoring, to be team player

Oct 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

New York Knicks Media Day Basketball AP

Carmelo Anthony is at least saying the right things.

The Knicks need to get Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire meshing together on offense. You know it. I know it. There are people in Thailand who know it. Mike Woodson knows it too, but to keep his job as Knicks coach he had to have ‘Melo on his side and the result was Woodson choosing to run the offense through ‘Melo. The result was too much isolation basketball that could be defended, the result was too many long two pointers and very little efficiency.

But Carmelo is saying all the right things about not getting his at the expense of the team game. From the New York Post (hat tip to SLAM).

“For me personally, I’m in my 10th year,’’ Anthony said. “Everyone pretty much knows I can score the basketball. But for me to challenge myself, instill the trust into my teammates to give them that confidence when they do shoot the ball, to have that confidence that they can make it happen as well.

“I’m done trying to score 35, 40 points to win the basketball game. I don’t want that role anymore. I can do it. That’s what I do. But in order for this team to be successful, for guys we have right now, we need a more well-rounded team. If I have to sacrifice on the offensive end, I’m willing to do it. It’s easy for me to sit here and say it. But this year it’s going to be locking in and doing it as the leader of this team.’’

Carmelo was on Team USA this summer and had to sacrifice. He was around guys who won rings because they were willing to sacrifice to keep other good players on their team in the mix.

No doubt, intellectually Anthony gets it. No doubt he wants to be a guy who can give up a little to lead a team to a title, like LeBron James learned to do. Like Kobe Bryant learned to do because he was around veteran players from his rookie year (even though it doesn’t always seem like Kobe sacrifices, he does).

But it’s another thing to do it. Another thing still to do it every night and build that trust.

Anthony is saying all the right things. Now we need to see him do it. Talk is cheap.

1. broncobeta - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

J.R. Smith says, now it’s my turn.

• damp1015 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’ll admit JR jacks up alot of shots, but he is one of the threats Knicks possess. Look at how teams defend him along with Novak as outside shooters. And now with Kidd, Felton & Brewer? It really has to turn from Bully Ball to Team Ball, Melo is starting to understand this. If they can create team chemistry similiar to how the Spurs were playing team ball last year, they won’t be an easy out.

• jolink653 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I’m tired of watching JR Smith take fadeaway threes and taking 16-18 seconds off the shot clock only to force up a terrible shot. The way this team will be successful will be through ball movement on the offensive side and JR can’t afford to be a black hole anymore

2. dysraw1 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

yo i don’t care if he leads the league in scoring as long as its in the flow of the game

3. theboysofdallas - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Who cares what happens as long a they keep racking up the W’s

4. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Has Carmelo been chatting with Isiah Thomas? Did Thomas teach him The Secret? I doubt it… Carmelo has always been a black hole on offense and indifferent on defense. If he got a firm grasp on The Secret then he’d try to use his talents to make his teammates better and increase his efficiency on both ends.

5. timb12 - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You know what’s weird? This morning I tried to get my toaster to grill a burger because it told me it would. But it couldn’t because its a toaster. Carmelo can’t be a team player. He did it with Team USA, but that’s a whole different scenario.

• money2long - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

it probably didn’t talk to you either because well, it’s a toaster.

• sellahh - Oct 3, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Well, i’ve heard toasters talk to toasters so there goes timb12.

6. cdins - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Usually when he scores 40 his team loses.

• bigbamboom1 - Oct 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

@cdins:
      Your excellent point is the key one. Michael Jordan used to score 40 points a night too. And would lose. Once he was surrounded by great talent he could trust, he geared it back to about 30 points a game and trusted his teammates to get the rest. MJ focused on being “the shut down closer”. Of games, runs and opposing key players. The rest is NBA history.

Carmelo is in the same situation As MJ when he started to win championships. He has the talent to be “The closer and shutdown” defensive guy. He has a lot more talent surrounding him than MJ had at first. He just needs to learn (like MJ) how to get his 30 during the momentum swing moments of a game. And not force it. Trust JK and Felton to get Amare, SHumpert and others off in each game. So there is always at least two other knicks complimenting his 30 with 18-24 points.

I think Carmelo has turned the MJ corner and will average 30 while winning and competing for titles. That is good for Knick fans. But Danger could come with Rasheed Wallace. Who jacks up untimely threes and gets awful technical calls to kill momentum. If old “Sheed” shows up, he could be the Knick’s kryptonite! Because the Ref’s hate him. And Sheed will insist on baiting them unless Melo backs him off.

7. eflem80 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

@ timb12…….yes….of course…because people are JUST like toasters…..good job buddy.

• timb12 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

No one ever seems to understand my toaster analogies.

8. eugenesaxe - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM

So, he’s going to give the team less of the only thing he can do well?

9. sellahh - Oct 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM

No, he’s probably talking about preserving some of the energy used in the offensive end and using it to do more of the intangibles, how hard is that to comprehend you… hater?

10. spankygreen - Oct 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Note to Mr Anthony…..
    I have been on this earth for 54 years. In that time I have not figured out totally the formula for success but I have for failure and that to try and please everyone…….Pass the ball, get your teammates more involved, I get it….The minute, nano second your scoring numbers drop and the Knicks start to lose more, the media and those fly by night New York fans will be calling for your head.

Play your game, put the ball in the hole at the same rate as always and leave it up to the coach to create an atmosphere or scenario for ball movement……STOP listening to people that don’t matter……..fickled, idiotic, non-athletic, no knowledge basketball fans.

15P

11. talkingfan - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM

How bout use the extra for some D, stop somebody from score n and you won’t need to score as much

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches