Oct 1, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
There are a couple of reasons that teams hire full time media relations people and now hire their own reporters for their team Web sites, and driving traffic to those sites (so they can appease sponsors/advertisers) is just a part of it.
The bigger goal is to spin the narrative the way they want. It’s exactly what the Obama and Romney camps will do after Wednesday’s debate, except in our case it’s about the far less important topic basketball.
Felton played pretty well with the Knicks a couple years ago, when he was running the Mike D’Antoni pick-and-roll with Amare Stoudemire all the time. That seems like eons ago. Felton was shipped out, landed in Portland then was unimpressive for the Blazers last year. And he owned up to why, tweeted Brian Mahoney of the AP.
Felton admits he arrived out of shape last season in Portland because he didn’t think there was going to be a season.
— Brian Mahoney (@briancmahoney) October 1, 2012
The Knick went with one of the media day cliches — “We’re not talking about the past, we’re looking forward.” Jeremy Lin who? The Knicks are trying to turn the page on him but his popularity in New York makes that challenging. The questions will keep coming (especially if Lin plays well in Houston).
So the Knicks pushed hard on the “look what great shape Felton is in, he’s going to be great for us” angle. I don’t doubt that he comes in ready to play in much better shape.
The question of how good he is for them remains to be answered — Felton’s coming into an offense that ran through Carmleo Anthony last year and now may see more Stoudemire in the post. We need to see if Felton has got his groove back, and if he has how he meshes with this offense. If there is one thing the Knicks need, it is to figure out how to mesh this offense. Felton could be a key for that and if he can get it to work the Knicks look a lot better.
But for now — Felton’s in shape!
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 12
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 65
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65