Oct 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
It’s not just owner Mikhail Prokhorov and GM Billy King talking grandiose plans of he Nets winning a title this year — their coach and players are as well.
The Nets may well not be the best team in in New York City, but moving into a new building in a new market with some new (and now healthy) players has the Nets talking big. As big as it gets.
Here are some quotes from media day, via John Schuhmann at NBA.com.
“Where we are now, the goal is to win a championship,” head coach Avery Johnson said. “At the end of the day, that’s what we all play for. I couldn’t say that about the team the last two years, because we weren’t there on any level….
“We’re not a championship team today,” Johnson said. “Hopefully, we’ll be one as we move on in training camp and get on into the regular season, and as we move into the playoffs. But the goal is to win a championship this year.”
And how about you, Joe Johnson?
“I think we’ve got everything that you could possibly want on a championship-caliber team,” Joe said. “So now we just have to come together as one and just make it happen. The sky’s the limit for us, honestly.”
I get it, you want the Nets to say this. You don’t want them saying they just want to take a step forward, you want them to sell this and hopefully both the community and they will buy it.
But the Nets are not a championship team. Not with a roster filled with guys who are questionable on the defensive end (Brook Lopez is not your anchor in the paint, Joe Johnson does not lock down guys on the wing. Even if everything went their way this year they are probably the third or fourth best team in the East. Certainly not better than a Miami team that won the title last year then added Ray Allen and other parts.
We’re just trying to keep it real in Brooklyn.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 27
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15