Oct 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
It’s not just owner Mikhail Prokhorov and GM Billy King talking grandiose plans of he Nets winning a title this year — their coach and players are as well.
The Nets may well not be the best team in in New York City, but moving into a new building in a new market with some new (and now healthy) players has the Nets talking big. As big as it gets.
Here are some quotes from media day, via John Schuhmann at NBA.com.
“Where we are now, the goal is to win a championship,” head coach Avery Johnson said. “At the end of the day, that’s what we all play for. I couldn’t say that about the team the last two years, because we weren’t there on any level….
“We’re not a championship team today,” Johnson said. “Hopefully, we’ll be one as we move on in training camp and get on into the regular season, and as we move into the playoffs. But the goal is to win a championship this year.”
And how about you, Joe Johnson?
“I think we’ve got everything that you could possibly want on a championship-caliber team,” Joe said. “So now we just have to come together as one and just make it happen. The sky’s the limit for us, honestly.”
I get it, you want the Nets to say this. You don’t want them saying they just want to take a step forward, you want them to sell this and hopefully both the community and they will buy it.
But the Nets are not a championship team. Not with a roster filled with guys who are questionable on the defensive end (Brook Lopez is not your anchor in the paint, Joe Johnson does not lock down guys on the wing. Even if everything went their way this year they are probably the third or fourth best team in the East. Certainly not better than a Miami team that won the title last year then added Ray Allen and other parts.
We’re just trying to keep it real in Brooklyn.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30