Oct 1, 2012, 4:19 AM EST
The Miami Heat have found their identity — they are going to play small. They are gong to have Chris Bosh spend lot of time at the five spot (he says he is ready for it) then have LeBron at the power forward spot.
He says he’s ready for all of it.
He says he is ready to go to the post, and he is ready for a point-forward role.
LeBron went to the block more than ever last season — 14.3 percent of his shots originated with him in the post— and he plans to do more of it this season. Cheek out this quote, via Tom Haberstoh of ESPN
LeBron, on his increased work on the block: “That’s where I’ll be spending most of my time this year, in the paint.”
— Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) September 30, 2012
But when you have the talents of LeBron on you don’t just go to the block. What LeBron will be is more of a point forward —a big with ball who can run the offense from the point or head to the block and be a forward. Look what he told ESPN’s Heat index.
“I think it’s pretty cool,” James said. “I’ve always looked at Scottie Pippen and of course Magic [Johnson]. Magic was a 6-9 point guard who could also play different positions. Pip played point forward in the triangle offense. Grant Hill, when he was in his prime in Detroit, was also kind of that point forward guy.”
Basically, whatever mismatch he creates, the Heat will exploit. And LeBron creates a lot of mismatches.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 0
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 2
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 26
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 7
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)