Oct 1, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
It was a little bit of a surprise at Lakers media day when former Memphis star swingman Chris Douglas-Roberts walked out in a Lakers uniform.
But the Lakers signed him to a non-guaranteed contract for training camp, the team announced.
Which is not a bad roll of the dice on a player a lot of people thought could develop into an NBA scorer coming out of college. He spent three seasons in the NBA, two with the Nets and one with the Bucks, but never found that rhythm — he shot 32 percent from three his last season with the Bucks and the shot making that worked for him in college didn’t work as well with the longer, faster athletes of the NBA.
He played in Italy last year. This year he could make the Lakers roster if he could convince them he’s worth the risk and a better risk than guys like Andrew Goudelock or Darius Johnson-Odom. But what most likely happens is this, via ESPNLA.com reporter Dave McMenamin.
Lakers media day was the most crowded its been by far in the 4 years I’ve covered the team.
Chris Douglas-Roberts was a surprise to see today. The Lakers signed him to a training camp contract, w/ hope he will play for the D-Fenders
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) October 1, 2012
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40