Lakers sign Douglas-Roberts for camp, probably not more

Oct 1, 2012, 7:32 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Milwaukee Bucks

It was a little bit of a surprise at Lakers media day when former Memphis star swingman Chris Douglas-Roberts walked out in a Lakers uniform.

But the Lakers signed him to a non-guaranteed contract for training camp, the team announced.

Which is not a bad roll of the dice on a player a lot of people thought could develop into an NBA scorer coming out of college. He spent three seasons in the NBA, two with the Nets and one with the Bucks, but never found that rhythm — he shot 32 percent from three his last season with the Bucks and the shot making that worked for him in college didn’t work as well with the longer, faster athletes of the NBA.

He played in Italy last year. This year he could make the Lakers roster if he could convince them he’s worth the risk and a better risk than guys like Andrew Goudelock or Darius Johnson-Odom. But what most likely happens is this, via ESPNLA.com reporter Dave McMenamin.

1. dysraw1 - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

this guy confuses the hell out of thought he would make the same splash as D-Rose either i am terrible at judging talent or he was a man among boys in college. thought for sure he be a 20 pts 6 assist guy

2. money2long - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

i dunno…the d -league is an option. but the lakers seem to have a healthy amount of undersized guards who aren’t necessarily PGs (goudelock, DJO, jodie meeks). so my point is having a 6’7 wing player isn’t a bad addition down the line if injuries occur. or now.

3. blakspartan - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

he wasn’t bad when he played for new jersey he is actually 6’6 not 6’7 long wingspan though

• money2long - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

thx for the update on his height.

also, i remember when the nets drafted him, he was pissed he fell to the 2nd round. he even said all these execs made a mistake and that he’ll show everyone in the league what he can do and that every team that passed up on him would be sorry. i liked the determination at the time. i like that he is humble enough to say making the dleague team is acceptable for now at least.

4. lakerluver - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Prediction: he makes the squad. CDR definitely has skills.

5. paulhargis53 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

That about cinches he doesn’t make the squad. lakerluver has the least knowledge of any fan on this site.

You should have stayed away sausage wallet, none of us missed you.

• manchestermiracle - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Based on the responses to both your’s and lakerluver’s comments, it is the opposite of your claim. Talk about a miss…..

Lakerluver comments on the team, you comment on him. Lakerluver comments on the league, you comment on him. Lakerluver could comment on the weather and you’d make a comment about him. Or her, whatever. Lakerluver loves the Lakers, you seem to have a hard-on for lakerluver. Wow, Hargis, doesn’t being a troll 24/7 get old for even a bitter fart like you?

6. paulhargis53 - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

It figures you would pay attention to the thumbs up/down. Is that some sort of validation for you? Good Lord, how needy can you be? Nameless, faceless people agree with me, I must be ok! loser.

Lakerluver is the biggest tool out of a woekbench full of them. I detest him and I will jab at him any time I can. He knows nothing about basketball and I don’t want to read his drivel. You’re a close second, you should probably just move a long. You don’t have the mental capacity to deal with this far superior mind.

• manchestermiracle - Oct 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You could be a bit more bombastic and egotistical, but I don’t think that’s possible. If you don’t want to read something then why do you? Talk about needy….Yeah, other (rational) people consistently voting your comments as crap is a pretty telling statistic. For someone who claims to know something about sports (without ever actually proving it) you obviously don’t understand the statistical aspect of them.

Your underhanded slap at everyone else here being “nameless, faceless people” should tell you all you need to know about how folks here think of you and why. And yet you keep coming back to continue belittling those who are just cheering for their favorite team. That’s ultimately so much more pathetic than any rah-rah comment lakerluver could possibly make.

You’re right about one thing, though. I “don’t have the mental capacity” to deal with you because my head is bigger than a pin and I’m not a psychopath.

7. paulhargis53 - Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Manchester: You can’t really be this dumb, can you?

You don’t think I know what kind of responses I’m going to elicit from my antagonistic postings?!

This started out as diatribe against lakerluver. I had the gall to disagree with one of his postings about the lakers, my comment at the time was not inflammatory. He came back with name calling and how ignorant I was etc.
    So, the gloves came off. He picked the wrong guy to start in with. Over time, he has proven to be what I’ve said he is.

He dorsnt want to hear a comment that doesn’t agree with his. He knows nothing about basketball, he’s an over the top homer.
    I pass the time at work, helping him look stupid. Is it pointless, yes. Is it entertaining to me? Very much so.

That you and others come to his defense is odd to me. You can’t tell me you agree with the windbag. You defend him because he’s a Lakers fan? Why? He’s a nameless faceless person, we all are.

So no, I don’t care what the thumbs up/down say. Frankly, I’m amazed and somewhat dissapointed that I get any thumbs ups at all.
    I’m not posting what I do to be popular on here, I don’t know any of you personally, nor do I care to. I don’t care what some boob in California, or England thinks of me.
    Your types of responses, trying to put me in my place, is EXACTLY what I’m looking for. Don’t feed into it. I’m not going to stop with lakerluver, he’s an idiot, and I enjoy messing with him. Either ignore me, or try to combat me, it makes no difference to me.
    I’m no psychopath. I’m just a guy with some time on my hands, getting some laughs. I’m suprised you couldn’t figure tha out, seeing your intelligence is bigger than a pinhead…….

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches