Oct 1, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
The general consensus — and you can throw me in with the majority here — is that the race in the West is for third. Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Lakers are going to battle it out for the top two seeds in the regular season, then they are going to meet in the Western Conference finals.
After them, the race is for third place. San Antonio, the Los Angeles Clippers and Denver Nuggets all have a legitimate shot at that three seed, but that’s about the best they can hope for.
Nuggets coach George Karl, how do you feel about that? Via the Denver Post.
What I basically say is — that’s summer talk. You have two teams that probably have the most talented players, especially in their top seven, but it’s summer talk. … I have a lot of respect for both of those teams. … But that doesn’t mean we never thought we could overtake them. Our goal this summer was: How do we get better? And how do we move closer to the top-echelon teams?
Problem is for Karl (and Popovich and Del Negro) that this summer talk is going to turn into fall then winter talk as well. This is going to happen. They are chasing the Thunder and Lakers.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?