Jazz’s Kanter dropped 51 pounds when he stopped eating everything

Oct 1, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT

enes-kanter Getty Images

One of the fantasies of media day around the NBA is the “look at Player X, he dropped 15 pounds and is really in shape for this season.” Often the weight loss is exaggerated, and certainly what is exaggerated is the impact that has on most players.

Jazz big man Enes Kanter may be the exception to the rule.

Kanter dropped 51 pounds since last season. Yes, 51. He went from 293 to 242 pounds in two months, tweets Bill Oram of the Salt Lake Tribune.

So what fad weight loss method did the Turkish center use? Was it P90X combined with the South Beach Diet? Pills? Freezing the fat? Old fashion starvation?

Nope, he stopped eating everything in sight, Oram said. Then he tweeted Kanter’s old daily diet.

Well, that should do it. Out of shape NFL offensive linemen would gain weight with that diet.

While Kanter may have lost the weight, let’s see how he plays before we say he’s the exception to one training camp fantasy.

1. minnesotablizzard - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM

It’s actually kind of shameful he doesn’t realize as an NBA player/high level athlete, your diet matters A TON! It really matters to all of us a whole lot but these athletes making millions should know better than that. You’re just making it that much harder on yourself to compete if you don’t have a solid diet.

• zeedoubleyou - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

The dude was 19 years old last season. I doubt your eating habits were great at that age so cut the kid some slack.

2. losangeleschargers17 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I don’t know blame him, if I grew up in Turkey, I would binge eat too as a new million in the USA

• minnesotablizzard - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Are you kidding? The turkish people make some of the best food! You need to go get a döner kebab ASAP. A better version of a gyro.

• zerole00 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I hate it to break it to you, but the USA has very few dishes that were invented (that are something worth talking about) here. Most of famous foods are more gimmicks than anything, giant pizzas, giant burgers, giant pancakes, etc.

I’ve got some Turkish friends, and Turkish cuisine is pretty good. Mediterranean food in general is pretty good. A LOT healthier too.

• losangeleschargers17 - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Ok unless you have some ethnicity in you, u will never understand how it is. I’m punjabi and we have some good food, Indian cousine is highly regarded. I but because that’s what I mostly eat all the time when I see some good American food like the stuff kanter saw I would go to town as well.

3. zerole00 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Wow. Each of this guy’s individuals meals would last me a day. Course, he lost more than a third of what I weigh so that makes sense.

4. tcclark - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I wish I was a millionaire…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches