Oct 1, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Well, I guess this is kind of a status symbol. A sick, twisted, perverse status symbol but a symbol none-the-less.
A heroin dealer in the Philadelphia area has been selling his product branded as “LeBron James” complete with a silhouette of LeBron dunking on the bag, reports the Philadelphia Daily News (hat tip to SLAM).
It should go without saying that LeBron in no way is involved or endorsed this use of his name and likeness.
Upper Darby police said that they busted a major heroin dealer from Philadelphia on Thursday who had 140 packets of the deadly drug – all of which were stamped with the silhouette of a basketball player and the name “LeBron James.”
“I don’t think LeBron James would be too happy with this drug-dealer dude using his name on these street bags,” said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
According to the report — this is not something we have any experience with — it is common for dealers to stamp their bags and name the drug, although it is usually something simple like “horse” or a play on a drug name itself.
I suppose naming the product after the healthy LeBron James makes more marketing sense than naming it River Phoenix or Sid Vicious or any of the thousands of others that have died from the drug.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 35
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 36
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17