Cousins calls USA Select Team experience “political”

Oct 1, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins had a bumpy time as a member of the USA Select Team this summer, playing against the London Olympians during training camp.

He got called out publicly by USA basketball president Jerry Colangelo for being too physical in scrimmages against the stars. I’ll add that I was in Vegas and Colangelo wasn’t the only one saying it. Kobe Bryant said that when Cousins keeps his head down and focuses on his game he is fine but when he lets his emotions get the best of him things go wrong.

Cousins wasn’t keeping his head down in an interview with Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated. Cousins was the full, unfiltered Cousins through the entire interview, including when Amick asked him if he enjoyed his time with Team USA.

“I didn’t enjoy it,” he said of the experience. “I went out there, and … I’m not going to say I didn’t learn anything from it, because I did. But it was just, in my mind, another political battle. I learned more about politics. I saw the work ethic of the so-called elite in the league, and I took some notes from that and took that back with me. But as far as the rest of it? No.

“Honestly, the scrimmages were one-sided the whole time. To even have a chance, you had to play hard as hell. We were out there getting our heads knocked off, and if they’re going to play physical, then I’m going to play physical back. I’m not out there trying to start fights — just trying to stand on my own. But I guess the ignorance of people is they take it as being immature.”

Of course the scrimmages were one-sided, did you see the Team USA lineup? LeBron James and Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul and you bring guys like Carmelo Anthony off the bench? The Select Team isn’t going to win those games, but they are going to put up the best fight the Olympians were going to face until the Spain game. But these are still your teammates, so you play within certain bounds of convention — nobody wants to see anybody hurt.

Anthony Davis ended up being put on the Olympic team, Cousins was not.

Cousins couldn’t adjust. His emotions got the best of him.

We’ll see how much he learned from that as we move ahead into the new season where he will be the heart of the Kings.

Latest Posts
  1. Nets head coach Hollins believes Brook Lopez will be ready for opening night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

Lopez hasn’t practiced since it was reported he suffered a soft tissue injury to his surgically repaired foot on Oct. 16.

2. Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors hold (almost) all the leverage, because Thompson will be a restricted free agent next summer.

3. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his team’s chances when playing with the starters.

4. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

5. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

6. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

7. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

8. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

9. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

10. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

11. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches