Cousins calls USA Select Team experience “political”

Oct 1, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins had a bumpy time as a member of the USA Select Team this summer, playing against the London Olympians during training camp.

He got called out publicly by USA basketball president Jerry Colangelo for being too physical in scrimmages against the stars. I’ll add that I was in Vegas and Colangelo wasn’t the only one saying it. Kobe Bryant said that when Cousins keeps his head down and focuses on his game he is fine but when he lets his emotions get the best of him things go wrong.

Cousins wasn’t keeping his head down in an interview with Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated. Cousins was the full, unfiltered Cousins through the entire interview, including when Amick asked him if he enjoyed his time with Team USA.

“I didn’t enjoy it,” he said of the experience. “I went out there, and … I’m not going to say I didn’t learn anything from it, because I did. But it was just, in my mind, another political battle. I learned more about politics. I saw the work ethic of the so-called elite in the league, and I took some notes from that and took that back with me. But as far as the rest of it? No.

“Honestly, the scrimmages were one-sided the whole time. To even have a chance, you had to play hard as hell. We were out there getting our heads knocked off, and if they’re going to play physical, then I’m going to play physical back. I’m not out there trying to start fights — just trying to stand on my own. But I guess the ignorance of people is they take it as being immature.”

Of course the scrimmages were one-sided, did you see the Team USA lineup? LeBron James and Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul and you bring guys like Carmelo Anthony off the bench? The Select Team isn’t going to win those games, but they are going to put up the best fight the Olympians were going to face until the Spain game. But these are still your teammates, so you play within certain bounds of convention — nobody wants to see anybody hurt.

Anthony Davis ended up being put on the Olympic team, Cousins was not.

Cousins couldn’t adjust. His emotions got the best of him.

We’ll see how much he learned from that as we move ahead into the new season where he will be the heart of the Kings.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

2. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

3. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

4. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

5. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

6. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

7. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

8. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

9. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

10. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

11. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

12. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

13. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

Top 10 NBA Player Searches