Cousins calls USA Select Team experience “political”

Oct 1, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins had a bumpy time as a member of the USA Select Team this summer, playing against the London Olympians during training camp.

He got called out publicly by USA basketball president Jerry Colangelo for being too physical in scrimmages against the stars. I’ll add that I was in Vegas and Colangelo wasn’t the only one saying it. Kobe Bryant said that when Cousins keeps his head down and focuses on his game he is fine but when he lets his emotions get the best of him things go wrong.

Cousins wasn’t keeping his head down in an interview with Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated. Cousins was the full, unfiltered Cousins through the entire interview, including when Amick asked him if he enjoyed his time with Team USA.

“I didn’t enjoy it,” he said of the experience. “I went out there, and … I’m not going to say I didn’t learn anything from it, because I did. But it was just, in my mind, another political battle. I learned more about politics. I saw the work ethic of the so-called elite in the league, and I took some notes from that and took that back with me. But as far as the rest of it? No.

“Honestly, the scrimmages were one-sided the whole time. To even have a chance, you had to play hard as hell. We were out there getting our heads knocked off, and if they’re going to play physical, then I’m going to play physical back. I’m not out there trying to start fights — just trying to stand on my own. But I guess the ignorance of people is they take it as being immature.”

Of course the scrimmages were one-sided, did you see the Team USA lineup? LeBron James and Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul and you bring guys like Carmelo Anthony off the bench? The Select Team isn’t going to win those games, but they are going to put up the best fight the Olympians were going to face until the Spain game. But these are still your teammates, so you play within certain bounds of convention — nobody wants to see anybody hurt.

Anthony Davis ended up being put on the Olympic team, Cousins was not.

Cousins couldn’t adjust. His emotions got the best of him.

We’ll see how much he learned from that as we move ahead into the new season where he will be the heart of the Kings.

Latest Posts
  1. Notes from Team USA Camp in Las Vegas: Nobody is a fan of the FIBA balls

Jul 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Chandler Parsons AP

“Guys that don’t have a reputation for playing hard defense are picking up full court.” —Damian Lillard on the level of play at Team USA training camp.

2. Mavericks may consider signing Rashard Lewis after his knee surgery

Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Rashard Lewis Rashard Lewis

Dallas originally signed Lewis, but voided his contract once it was discovered he would require knee surgery.

3. Knicks legend Earl Monroe sees New York finishing top four in the East ‘easily’

Jul 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Earl Monroe Earl Monroe

Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Toronto and Washington all simply shake their heads.

4. Report: Metta World Peace nearing deal to play in China next season

Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.

5. Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks

Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.

6. Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.

7. Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench?

Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Mike Krzyzewski Mike Krzyzewski

“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski

8. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

9. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

10. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

11. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

12. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

13. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

14. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

15. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches