Chris Bosh trying to nickname himself “random guy”

Oct 1, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Chris Bosh poses for a portrait during media day at the Miami Heat's home arena in Miami, Florida Reuters

Chris Bosh wants to be known as “random guy.”

Not for the reason you think (that he is the awkward third wheel on the Heat with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, and for the casual basketball fan he is just a random guy).

Rather, Bosh said he was watching film of the Heat’s positionless offense — where anybody can step into any of the five roles on the floor — and he thought he was scoring from random places on the floor. Here’s his quote, via the Miami Herald (hat tip to SLAM).

“I’m still getting used to the offense,” Bosh said. “I always watching film to see what I should have done and what I could have done. What I can do better. Where my shots can from. Because I’m the random guy. I don’t get any plays called for me, but the public will never know that.”

I kind of like it, because Random Guy has a nice double meaning for bosh.

But no, you do not get to nickname yourself. Random Guy must be rejected. He can call himself whatever he wants, but we can’t pick it up.

1. nolahxc - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM

He will always be known as “alien looking guy” to me.

• sackofrice - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM

i always thought that was sam cassell.

2. eventhorizon04 - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM

‘Chris Bosh trying to nickname himself “random guy”’

Um. If Chris Bosh had said, “I always watching film to see what I should have done and what I could have done…Because I’m the pivot in the offense,” would you say, “Chris Bosh trying to nickname himself ‘The pivot in the offense.”?

Probably not.

I think he was using “random guy” the same way I would describe the player as playing “free safety” if he’s roaming in the paint. Not so much a potential nickname as defining his role – in this case, having the freedom to break off a set play if he sees an opening.

• boobcok - Oct 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Yeah, excellent point. Hey Kurt, the first sentence of his quote was “I’m still getting used to the offense” so by applying your theory I’ve determined that Chris Bosh demands we all call him “still getting used to the offense guy” and I think it’s absurd that he take it upon himself to make up his own nickname like that!

3. dmaq1 - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

should’ve stayed a Raptor, name was fitting enough.

4. Gordon - Oct 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I thought Shaq already named him Rupaul. Can’t change it now.

5. tfoltz - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Boshtrich cannot change his nickname.

6. decimusprime - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Good point…You don’t get to pick your own nickname unless you’re Shaq. All his nicknames were self-appointed and whatever name it was, that is what everyone called him, including you media folks.

7. cantonbound13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I guess flopper was taken by Dwhine Wade.

• hehateme2 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Good to see your still hurting cantonclown. Keep it up!

8. skinsfanwill - Oct 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Meerkat should be his name. He looks just like one.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches