Oct 1, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
You knew they were going to work this out, the only questions were when and how much.
We don’t know the how much part yet, but we know the when — Bulls GM Gar Forman announced a four-year contract extension with coach Tom Thibodeau during the team’s media day on Monday according to the team’s official twitter account (and pretty much every media member there, such as CSNChicago.com’s Aggrey Sam).
This had to get done for a lot of reasons. The Bulls identity — the hard work and stifling defense — come directly from Thibodeau. They couldn’t let that go. Plus Derrick Rose love Thibs, and if you do one thing it’s keep your superstar happy. And from the other side, while Thibodeau would have certainly had plenty of other offers had he left, he would not have had a potential contender anywhere else. While the East has some very good teams (hello Miami) Thibs had to know he was not going to land in a better place to win than with Rose in Chicago.
So they figured it all out. And that is one less storyline hanging over the Bulls this year. Now we can get back to focusing on when Rose would return (Forman said he is on schedule and hopes to play later this year).
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13