Oct 1, 2012, 12:23 PM EST
Maybe its’ because Glen Taylor is older and trying to slide out the door of Timberwolves ownership, so he is less concerned with what he tells the media. Maybe it’s because he’s a U.S. Senator who has been trusted with secrets of genuine importance that talking about what goes on behind closed doors at an NBA franchise rightfully seems trivial.
Whatever the reason, Timberwolves owner Taylor has been talking more lately.
The Minnesota Post followed up one article with the bits of an interview with Taylor that didn’t make the first cut — but there are some juicy parts. Like how Rick Adelman really wanted to get Andrei Kirilenko, but Brandon Roy… not so much.
“The coach wanted a guy who could defend more than one position, and David (Kahn, Minnesota GM) found the best person who fit that description in [Nicholas] Batum. We overpaid to try and get him but we lost him. So then we went after Kirilenko.
“The coach says, ‘This is the guy I want. He never talks about scoring, he talks about passing and he talks about defense. I need that player in my system to be successful.’ So that one was clearly the coach….
“Brandon Roy, you might think that is the coach, but that is more David. I think it is David saying, ‘Let give this player to Rick and get the backup in place in case it doesn’t work out.’ Because Rick keeps saying to me, ‘I don’t know if he can play!’ And I tell him, ‘Rick, I don’t know if he can play either!’ So the Brandon Roy thing is a risk.”
It is a risk. But I like the gamble because they didn’t bet everything on it, Minnesota was playing with house money. They still have Kevin Love and, when he returns, Ricky Rubio as anchors. They have Kirilenko now and I like the Chase Budinger pickup for their style of play (that was an Adelman call, Taylor says).
If Roy works out and is just good, not his former All-Star self, that is a quality addition. If it doesn’t work out, you move on, you didn’t base your team around it.
Minnesota is going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch this season. And Taylor talking is just adding to the color.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39