Oct 1, 2012, 12:23 PM EST
Maybe its’ because Glen Taylor is older and trying to slide out the door of Timberwolves ownership, so he is less concerned with what he tells the media. Maybe it’s because he’s a U.S. Senator who has been trusted with secrets of genuine importance that talking about what goes on behind closed doors at an NBA franchise rightfully seems trivial.
Whatever the reason, Timberwolves owner Taylor has been talking more lately.
The Minnesota Post followed up one article with the bits of an interview with Taylor that didn’t make the first cut — but there are some juicy parts. Like how Rick Adelman really wanted to get Andrei Kirilenko, but Brandon Roy… not so much.
“The coach wanted a guy who could defend more than one position, and David (Kahn, Minnesota GM) found the best person who fit that description in [Nicholas] Batum. We overpaid to try and get him but we lost him. So then we went after Kirilenko.
“The coach says, ‘This is the guy I want. He never talks about scoring, he talks about passing and he talks about defense. I need that player in my system to be successful.’ So that one was clearly the coach….
“Brandon Roy, you might think that is the coach, but that is more David. I think it is David saying, ‘Let give this player to Rick and get the backup in place in case it doesn’t work out.’ Because Rick keeps saying to me, ‘I don’t know if he can play!’ And I tell him, ‘Rick, I don’t know if he can play either!’ So the Brandon Roy thing is a risk.”
It is a risk. But I like the gamble because they didn’t bet everything on it, Minnesota was playing with house money. They still have Kevin Love and, when he returns, Ricky Rubio as anchors. They have Kirilenko now and I like the Chase Budinger pickup for their style of play (that was an Adelman call, Taylor says).
If Roy works out and is just good, not his former All-Star self, that is a quality addition. If it doesn’t work out, you move on, you didn’t base your team around it.
Minnesota is going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch this season. And Taylor talking is just adding to the color.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 0
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 8
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 19
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30