Sep 30, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
For some reason, this just skated on through media day on Friday, and no one really picked up on it. From our own Ira Winderman at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:
Ray Allen said ankle issue likely will be ongoing throughout the season, something he will have to manage.
He said he never wanted to let on publicly how serious it was last season in Boston.
Wait, hold on there. The idea was that after surgery to repair the bone spurs in his ankle after the Celtics’ loss to the Heat in the Conference Finals, he’d be totally fine, and that he’d be healthy. This does change things a bit.
Allen’s problem last year, and why he wound up sliding out of the starting spot, was his inability to really keep pace on the floor. He physically couldn’t move as fast and at times it was downright painful to watch. That ankle is kind of necessary for running and pivoting and turning and any lingering issue is going to affect not only his ability to stay within the defensive system, but his ability to make those cuts and turns that free him up for the corner three.
This is not a minor thing, this is a huge addition to Miami who fills a major gap for them admitting that he’s going to keep having problems with a very painful injury that held him out of games in the playoffs and limited his effectiveness. It may not be a major problem, he’s not acting like he’s still limping around. But it is something to keep an eye out for as we wait to see this upgraded version of the Death Star.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)