Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Things have gone from bad to worse to apathetic in Salt Lake City as the Salt Lake Tribune reports that disgruntled guard Raja Bell has been asked by the Jazz not to show up next week when the team begins its preseason.
The Jazz announced Friday that veteran guard Raja Bell won’t attend training camp next week.
“I have spoken with Raja and his representative, Herb Rudoy, and we have mutually agreed that although Raja remains under contract, it is in the best interest of all parties that he not rejoin the team next week when the Jazz begin training camp,” Utah general manger Dennis Lindsey said in a news release. “We will now move forward focusing on Jazz basketball and our preparation for the upcoming season. We will have no further comment on this matter.”
That’s a pretty strong statement form the team, who continues to try and reach some sort of agreement with Bell. They’re squabbling over a buyout and much like Rip Hamilton with the Pistons, the situation is untenable, yet unsolvable. Neither side will budge and a trade is a tricky thing to pull off considering the value involved.
It never makes sense to me why the holdout over the buyout. I understand that the team agreed to pay that money and that it’s not explicitly Bell’s fault that the coaching staff clashed with him so much. But from a practical standpoint, he’s still going to get a pretty decent chunk of it back wherever he signs next. If he does get let go, look for Miami, the Wolves, the Lakers, and others to be interested in him.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44