Sep 29, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
The Lakers have been completely silent about when Dwight Howard could return, refusing to give any timeline. Howard himself has been dead quiet on the subject, using the “I just want to get where I need to be” stuff. There has been talk of December, January, even Febuary for a possible return of the Lakers’ newest addition after back surgery to repair a herniated disc last spring. But now Yahoo! Sports reports something very different, and it could have a huge impact on the season.
Five months after back surgery, All-Star center Dwight Howard has targeted his Los Angeles Lakers debut for opening night of the 2012-13 season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Howard is determined to play against the Dallas Mavericks on Oct. 30 at Staples Center, and his progress in recent weeks has strengthened the possibility, sources said.
Howard being ready that soon could shift the West dramatically. At the very least, Howard being available for the entire season puts their probability at a top-two seed somewhere in the 80-90 percent range and gives them at the very least a pick ’em with the Thunder for the top spot. It means easier first-round series, more rest time, and a better path to the Finals.
There is, of course, the concern of rushing him back, and a possible step backwards. Howard has been shown to be impatient and impulsive, sometimes making decisions with his heart and not with his head. He seems committed to keeping himself in the best condition possible, but he’s obviously excited about the possibility of getting back on the floor and starting the year under Staples’ dimmed lights.
Lakers’ media day is Monday, and Howard can expect a barrage of questions on the subject, as can the rest of the Lakers’ starters. But where we thought it could be months before we see Howard dunking in Lakers gold, it could be a matter of weeks.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 15
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 18
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9