Sep 29, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace, New York Knick.
If he can make it there… well, let’s wait and see if he can make a difference there before we move on with the song.
We’ve been telling you for days this was coming, now it’s official in the sense that Rasheed Wallace has agreed to a deal that he will sign on Monday, meaning he will be part of the New York Knicks training camp next week, the New York Post confirms.
Wallace has told the Knicks he has elected to come out of retirement and join their training camp, according to an NBA source.
The 6-foot-11 Wallace, who worked out with the Knicks over the weekend, retired two years ago after a disappointing season with the Celtics. The Knicks are expected to announce the signing Monday at Media Day. The first practices begin Tuesday.
Will he still be with the team in February? Well, if you want to bet on what ‘Sheed is going to do next you go right ahead. I have no prediction. There is no outcome here that can surprise me, and that includes alien abduction.
Rasheed was a decent backup big man for the Celtics when we saw him a couple seasons ago — 9 points a game and a PER of 13.1, but he shot 28 percent from three. Then he stepped up in the playoffs, shooting 34.5 percent from deep and stretching the floor for Boston. He may have been the best Celtics player in Game 7 of the finals against the Lakers.
Reports out of Knicks workouts have been that he is shooting the ball well and impressing teammates, but that he is out of shape. Conditioning was not ‘Sheed’s strength when he was in the NBA and so being out for a season couldn’t have helped. But if he did get back in shape…
Then the Knicks would have five guys on the bench over age 35. Seriously. I can’t imagine what would go wrong there.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte