Sep 29, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace, New York Knick.
If he can make it there… well, let’s wait and see if he can make a difference there before we move on with the song.
We’ve been telling you for days this was coming, now it’s official in the sense that Rasheed Wallace has agreed to a deal that he will sign on Monday, meaning he will be part of the New York Knicks training camp next week, the New York Post confirms.
Wallace has told the Knicks he has elected to come out of retirement and join their training camp, according to an NBA source.
The 6-foot-11 Wallace, who worked out with the Knicks over the weekend, retired two years ago after a disappointing season with the Celtics. The Knicks are expected to announce the signing Monday at Media Day. The first practices begin Tuesday.
Will he still be with the team in February? Well, if you want to bet on what ‘Sheed is going to do next you go right ahead. I have no prediction. There is no outcome here that can surprise me, and that includes alien abduction.
Rasheed was a decent backup big man for the Celtics when we saw him a couple seasons ago — 9 points a game and a PER of 13.1, but he shot 28 percent from three. Then he stepped up in the playoffs, shooting 34.5 percent from deep and stretching the floor for Boston. He may have been the best Celtics player in Game 7 of the finals against the Lakers.
Reports out of Knicks workouts have been that he is shooting the ball well and impressing teammates, but that he is out of shape. Conditioning was not ‘Sheed’s strength when he was in the NBA and so being out for a season couldn’t have helped. But if he did get back in shape…
Then the Knicks would have five guys on the bench over age 35. Seriously. I can’t imagine what would go wrong there.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38