Sep 29, 2012, 6:37 PM EST
Rasheed Wallace, New York Knick.
If he can make it there… well, let’s wait and see if he can make a difference there before we move on with the song.
We’ve been telling you for days this was coming, now it’s official in the sense that Rasheed Wallace has agreed to a deal that he will sign on Monday, meaning he will be part of the New York Knicks training camp next week, the New York Post confirms.
Wallace has told the Knicks he has elected to come out of retirement and join their training camp, according to an NBA source.
The 6-foot-11 Wallace, who worked out with the Knicks over the weekend, retired two years ago after a disappointing season with the Celtics. The Knicks are expected to announce the signing Monday at Media Day. The first practices begin Tuesday.
Will he still be with the team in February? Well, if you want to bet on what ‘Sheed is going to do next you go right ahead. I have no prediction. There is no outcome here that can surprise me, and that includes alien abduction.
Rasheed was a decent backup big man for the Celtics when we saw him a couple seasons ago — 9 points a game and a PER of 13.1, but he shot 28 percent from three. Then he stepped up in the playoffs, shooting 34.5 percent from deep and stretching the floor for Boston. He may have been the best Celtics player in Game 7 of the finals against the Lakers.
Reports out of Knicks workouts have been that he is shooting the ball well and impressing teammates, but that he is out of shape. Conditioning was not ‘Sheed’s strength when he was in the NBA and so being out for a season couldn’t have helped. But if he did get back in shape…
Then the Knicks would have five guys on the bench over age 35. Seriously. I can’t imagine what would go wrong there.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 16
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11