Sep 28, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT
Before last season the Warriors were brash. New owners, new coach right out of the broadcast booth where he was paid to be opinionated. They were trying to create a new aura around the long-struggling Warriors.
The organization top to bottom talked openly about making the playoffs. Then they didn’t make the playoffs. Overpromise and under-deliver is a pattern Warriors fans were used to. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
This year, the Warriors are not talking playoffs — they are not talking about much of anything. We already told you how coach Mark Jackson was playing down expectations. That is not an accident, Warriors General Manager Bob Meyer told CSNBayArea.com they need to walk the walk before they talk the talk.
“Because, unfortunately, we have not had a culture of winning and until we actually go do that, it doesn’t matter what I say, what coach says or what anybody says. It matters what we do, what our team does.
“What I’m trying to say is, I think if we employ the right process in how we go about what we’re doing, working hard, doing things the right way, then the results will come. There’s a quote: ‘You cannot ensure success, but you can deserve it….
“Unless we actually go do it, and the results are there, which is winning … We’re not an organization that has a history of winning each year, so it’s almost that I’d rather go do it and let the results speak for themselves as opposed to saying it’s going to happen.”
It starts with making the playoffs this year. Which will not be easy in a deep Western Conference, but not out of the question if they can keep Stephen Curry and Andrew Bogut healthy (and get other breaks like Klay Thompson taking a step forward in his second year). If all that happens they still need to beat out teams like Minnesota, Dallas and Utah for a final playoff spot.
I like the mindset though. Talk is easy. They need to prove what they can do on the court before anybody really listens.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11