Sep 28, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas wants another shot in the NBA. He’s working out at the Lakers facilities. His agent is calling GMs all over the place. Arenas is telling gas station managers his plans and that’s somehow becoming a rumor.
The truth — there are no calls for him. Teams are not interested. They weigh the off-court distraction with the on-court production (he barely played in Memphis last season) and move on.
So Agent Zero may be moving on to China, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Sources with knowledge of Arenas’ thinking told ESPN.com that the former All-Star is giving strong consideration to starting the season in China….
And China is said to be at the top of the list, given the fact that former NBA All-Stars who go there tend to be well-compensated … and the helpful knowledge that the short Chinese season allows for a return to the NBA in March or April if he impresses.
The Chinese Basketball Association season also doesn’t start until November, so Arenas can wait a while longer to make that call.
It seems like a good move, if he can handle the culture shock. A number of players from the NBA signed to play in China during the lockout and a number of them (Kenyon Martin may be the biggest name) bolted pretty quickly. There is a very high turnover of western players in China as players do not all adapt well to a very different environment.
But I bet Arenas gives it a shot as he is not likely to get an NBA gig.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30