Sep 28, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas wants another shot in the NBA. He’s working out at the Lakers facilities. His agent is calling GMs all over the place. Arenas is telling gas station managers his plans and that’s somehow becoming a rumor.
The truth — there are no calls for him. Teams are not interested. They weigh the off-court distraction with the on-court production (he barely played in Memphis last season) and move on.
So Agent Zero may be moving on to China, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Sources with knowledge of Arenas’ thinking told ESPN.com that the former All-Star is giving strong consideration to starting the season in China….
And China is said to be at the top of the list, given the fact that former NBA All-Stars who go there tend to be well-compensated … and the helpful knowledge that the short Chinese season allows for a return to the NBA in March or April if he impresses.
The Chinese Basketball Association season also doesn’t start until November, so Arenas can wait a while longer to make that call.
It seems like a good move, if he can handle the culture shock. A number of players from the NBA signed to play in China during the lockout and a number of them (Kenyon Martin may be the biggest name) bolted pretty quickly. There is a very high turnover of western players in China as players do not all adapt well to a very different environment.
But I bet Arenas gives it a shot as he is not likely to get an NBA gig.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 4
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2