Sep 28, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
This is not good. In a lot of ways.
Wizards point guard John Wall will be out about eight weeks with a stress fracture discovered in his patella (his kneecap), the team announced Friday. This means he is likely off the court until around Thanksgiving.
The good news is it is something they discovered early, there will be no surgery and he should be available for most of the season. The bad news is it’s a stress fracture in the knee of a 22-year-old. That’s not a good sign.
And it certainly does not help the Wizards goal of making the playoffs this season.
Wall is at the heart of the Wizards chances of making the playoffs — they have made good additions to the roster with Nene, Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza and just drafted Bradley Beal, but Wall is the key to the team. He is the potential superstar, the speedy point guard who can score and set up teammates. He is the guy that has to elevate his team.
Look what he told Michael Lee of the Washington Post earlier Friday.
John Wall: “I think the pieces we have is great, but I think for us to take that next step, it’s going to be keyed on me.” #wizards
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) September 28, 2012
Now, he has to wait, his team has to wait, we all have to wait.
“My teammates and I are all excited to build on the improvement we made at the end of last season, and I know they will continue to make great progress while I get through this setback,” Wall said in a released statement by the team. “I will work extremely hard to make sure I get back as soon as possible so I can re-join them and help our team continue to improve.”
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 0
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16