Sep 28, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
This is not good. In a lot of ways.
Wizards point guard John Wall will be out about eight weeks with a stress fracture discovered in his patella (his kneecap), the team announced Friday. This means he is likely off the court until around Thanksgiving.
The good news is it is something they discovered early, there will be no surgery and he should be available for most of the season. The bad news is it’s a stress fracture in the knee of a 22-year-old. That’s not a good sign.
And it certainly does not help the Wizards goal of making the playoffs this season.
Wall is at the heart of the Wizards chances of making the playoffs — they have made good additions to the roster with Nene, Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza and just drafted Bradley Beal, but Wall is the key to the team. He is the potential superstar, the speedy point guard who can score and set up teammates. He is the guy that has to elevate his team.
Look what he told Michael Lee of the Washington Post earlier Friday.
John Wall: “I think the pieces we have is great, but I think for us to take that next step, it’s going to be keyed on me.” #wizards
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) September 28, 2012
Now, he has to wait, his team has to wait, we all have to wait.
“My teammates and I are all excited to build on the improvement we made at the end of last season, and I know they will continue to make great progress while I get through this setback,” Wall said in a released statement by the team. “I will work extremely hard to make sure I get back as soon as possible so I can re-join them and help our team continue to improve.”
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23