Sep 27, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Last year Mark Jackson was coming to the head coach’s chair straight out of a broadcast booth where he was supposed to be opinionated and brash. He was in front of a new team ownership group that was brimming with confidence. Jackson played right into all of it and was talking playoffs for the Warriors.
Fast forward a year, where Jackson is coaching what should be a better Warriors team. But you are not hearing any bold predictions from Jackson this time around.
No, he has learned the art of the cliché and sounded like a lot of other coaches during his media availability before training camp Wednesday. Here are some highlight quotes, via Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com.
Pressure is my mindset. I don’t care who I’m coaching, the pressure is always going to be to win. Certainly we have a better basketball team. I don’t run from it; I embrace it.”
“I would argue that David Lee is a great runner. I would say we have a great rebounder in (Andrew) Bogut and four guys who can run above average for their position. I would say we’re better to run because we’re a better rebounding team. Each guy rebounds their position well.
“I would say running more and when you have the weapons that we have offensively, the best way to attack a defense is when they’re not set. We’re not going to be a slow-down offensive team.”
Jackson has learned some lessons about the fan base and dealing with expectations off the court. As we move into the season we’ll see what he has learned on the court and if he can take a team with good talent the next step up into the playoffs. It will not be easy in a deep Western conference (they would have to beat out the likes of Minnesota and Dallas to make it) but it’s not out of the question.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)