Sep 27, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Last year Mark Jackson was coming to the head coach’s chair straight out of a broadcast booth where he was supposed to be opinionated and brash. He was in front of a new team ownership group that was brimming with confidence. Jackson played right into all of it and was talking playoffs for the Warriors.
Fast forward a year, where Jackson is coaching what should be a better Warriors team. But you are not hearing any bold predictions from Jackson this time around.
No, he has learned the art of the cliché and sounded like a lot of other coaches during his media availability before training camp Wednesday. Here are some highlight quotes, via Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com.
Pressure is my mindset. I don’t care who I’m coaching, the pressure is always going to be to win. Certainly we have a better basketball team. I don’t run from it; I embrace it.”
“I would argue that David Lee is a great runner. I would say we have a great rebounder in (Andrew) Bogut and four guys who can run above average for their position. I would say we’re better to run because we’re a better rebounding team. Each guy rebounds their position well.
“I would say running more and when you have the weapons that we have offensively, the best way to attack a defense is when they’re not set. We’re not going to be a slow-down offensive team.”
Jackson has learned some lessons about the fan base and dealing with expectations off the court. As we move into the season we’ll see what he has learned on the court and if he can take a team with good talent the next step up into the playoffs. It will not be easy in a deep Western conference (they would have to beat out the likes of Minnesota and Dallas to make it) but it’s not out of the question.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36