Sep 27, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
Bradley Beal looked like a guy who had potential at Summer League, but a guy who needs some work (he shot 30 percent from three, for example).
Last season, Jordan Crawford looked like an NBA player who started 32 games last year and scored 14.7 points a game the season before.
Beal may be the future next to John Wall in the Wizard’s backcourt, but Crawford is the now. Wizards’ coach Randy Wittman said as much at his pre-training camp press conference Wednesday, as reported by Michael Lee at the Washington Post.
“Obviously Jordan has been here, had got a little bit of an advantage right now. . . . I always think guys that know what to expect have a little bit of an advantage moving in. The guys that have been here especially after I took over as the head coach I think have an understanding of the dos and don’ts on what I want not only as an individual but as a team.”
I like Beal, I think he’s going to play a long time in this league. But the No. 3 pick may not be in the starting lineup opening night.
Wittman talked about a couple other interesting things. He says the Wizards are going to run more this year (they were 9th fastest in the league last year). Via CSNWashington.com.
“We are going to play an up-tempo style and go inside out,” Wittman said… “I ain’t going to invent a new offensive or defensive system that nobody’s ever seen that will brand me the next genius,” Wittman said coyly.
With the talent they have they should run more. Flip Saunders said the same thing the past few years in Washington — frankly every coach says they are going to run more as teams head into camp. They say it like politicians say they want to talk about the issues — everyone promises it but nobody does it. So I want to see it in practice before I buy in. But they should do it.
For now, I get starting Crawford. Beal has to earn that spot. By the end of the season Beal may well do that, but for now it makes sense to start Crawford.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 8
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 7
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 36
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 14
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10