Rondo says his feud with Ray Allen is overblown

Sep 26, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo AP

The Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen story is not going away anytime soon — not with the Celtics and Heat opening the season against each other in just over a month. Not with the Heat getting their rings in front of the Celtics then taking the court with Allen now in red and white. If anything, Mr. Ed is going to take a lot more of a beating on this one.

Allen bolted for the enemy (the Celtics seem to have a lot of those) this summer and one reason may have had something to do with his personality and on-court clashes with Rondo. How much of a role? Depends on who you ask.

Ask Rondo and he has played it all down in the past. And he did it again in an interview with Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports. Rondo said you — and we in the media — are blowing this all out of proportion.

“People act like because me and Ray didn’t get along or they think me and Ray didn’t get along that I’m a bad person or he’s a bad person,” Rondo said. “No. It’s just life. If you look at your job, everyone doesn’t always get along with every co-worker they work with. It’s just part of life. People are blowing the Ray thing out of proportion. We had some words, but other than that it was no big deal.

“There were so many rumors like I was looking Ray off. Why would I look Ray off? That doesn’t make sense. He’s the best shooter, so why would I look him off? People can see it how they want to. They can talk to Ray. But from my standpoint, he made his decision. I don’t know why he made the decision, but he made the decision. I don’t think it had anything to do with me.”

It had something to do with you, Rondo. How much only Allen knows, but the guy just took a huge pay cut and left teammates he enjoyed to be around for a place he knew he would be hated for choosing. You don’t do that without reasons. Plural. It was not one thing.

But you can bet Rondo was one of the things that drove Allen to take his talent to South Beach.

1. acdc363 - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I disagree. I think he just wants to win another ring.

• praxisprism - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Sorry Ray is not vain in the same breath such as a Kobe or Lebron, that he needs “da ringz” to prove his worth. Even if he won a ring with Miami, it would not rank him higher on the All Time list as he wouldn’t be an integral piece for Miami to win. They have won without him. Ray did not like his situation in Boston, felt disrespected to get demoted from the “Big Three” to coming off the bench for a second year player. Also got sick and tired of Ainge trying to trade him at every opportunity. Also Boston contacted Jason Terry during the night free agency before him. He wanted out as he felt disrespected and didn’t like his role change with a team he was an integral part of. *if* he gets a ring with Miami, thats just one perk, not his true reason to leaving.

2. katra2logic - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I do not think Ray Ray’s decision had that much to do with the personalities in Boston. More likely it had to do with the personnel in Boston. Ray Allen’s career window is closing and I think he felt he had a better chance winning another ring with the personnel in Miami.

3. passerby23 - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

From the outside looking in, it seemed more of a case of management “disrespecting” Ray by trying to trade him on more than one occasion than anything else.

4. tommy972 - Sep 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I’m sure it was more of trying to trade him to the Lakers than it was Rondo. Signing for less is like a slap in the face to the Celtics front office.

5. nbascreed - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM

If I’m not mistaken the C’s had Ray all but gone to Memphis at All-Star break until things fell through…I’m mystified at how anyone could be angry with him for leaving.

Girl: Hey babe, I met this other guy and I really feel like we hit it….(phone rings – girl takes call)
    Girl: Uh…never mind babe, what are we doing tonight?
    Dude: Huh????

——Fast Forward 2 Months——–

Dude: Babe it’s not working out, I’m ghost. It’s been fun.
    Girl: How dare you! You’re a pig…you’re leaving me for another wom…oh wait.

• passerby23 - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM

One is a business, however, the other is not. Boston offered him more money and a no trade clause. He did say he was torn between the two.

6. michaeljordanseviltwin - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Ray Allen is a good man and he never would have signed for Boston’s rival unless he felt betrayed. He was almost traded twice and lost his starting job… fell out of Rondo’s favor so really the writing was on the wall. I think Boston only offered him a contract so they wouldn’t come across as the bad guys. At any rate, it took some balls to sign with the Heat. Imagine the reception he’ll receive from Celtics fans in Boston.

• edweird0 - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Boston fans would be fools to do anything but give the man a standing ovation. They should be grateful for everything he’s ever given them.

7. miamatt - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM

While I wouldn’t dismiss the feud completely, I would agree with those that believe the Celtics attempt(s) to trade him had more to do with Ray’s departure than did a personality conflict with Rondo. Also, it is one thing to come off the bench because Dwayne Wade is starting, it is another to back up Avery Freakin’ Bradley. Throw in the fact that Miami clearly has the better chance at winning a title (not saying Cs have no chance, but c’mon), and the fact that Miami made Allen their clear offseason priority, it would have been more surprising to hear that Ray wasn’t leaving the Celtics.

8. by19 - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Whatever the reason/s Ray Ray will be missed…it IS too bad he didn’t feel Boston’s fans love for his game, him & his family…hope he finds in Miami what he thinks he didn’t have as a Celt…

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches